PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperguy View Post
it went up at a 30 degree angle and stalled when it lost airspeed. just like an actual aircraft the moment between the TE of the wing and the LE of the elevator is so short they cancel out. since there is no insindence it wont try to recover. it just happened to drop the left wing this time before nosing in. i frew it rite after that and i got a flat glide to the rite. i bent the right tip down a few degrees and i git an even shallower bank to the left. that and with them being so close together the air seperating from the TE of the MAIN wing is to dirty for the elevator to bite and pull out. the tree gave my plane pack and after one flight across the yard i tried using the rubber band hook im willing to bet i topped the 100ft mark. it was a flat eye level launch that woulda been further but a bush stopped it at the heigth it was flying. im 5ft 11in tall and my eyes are 5ft 5in above the ground. i wear a size 12 shoe and got 118 heel to toe steps from where i took the pic to where it landed. if you want mike im willing to put it in an envelope and send it to you for futher testing.
( first pic is the extension scotch taped to the tail. it is a help with the trimming by being flexable. Pic 2 is the distance looking from the launch point top the bush it hit. pic 3 it slightly zoomed showing the position of the glider)
No need to send it, I'm working on several changes to find the balance myself. With you modifying the rudder, that saves a step already.

Because the fuselage acts like a rudder (Flat all the way) the rudder has to overcome the effects up forward from what the nose wants to steer. Anything forward of the CG/Neutral point is un-stabilizing. By making the rudder bigger you can eventually overcome the nose effects, but from what I see you're doing, why not make the nose/fuselage slight shorter (height wise). Loose a little weight instead of gaining?

To make the rudder bigger means weight gain, from the bigger rudder, but far more damaging is the weight to balance that will need added to the front.

I'm working on some mods, should be able to print and test tonight, if I get them done.

Mike
Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Mike,

Sorry to be absent from this discussion for awhile. I did build the McDonnell printed F4 and found it to be very challenging to balance and fly. So far the F-100 as I originally built it is a clear winner. It flies about as well as my foam flyer which is quite well.

Right now I'm away from home and won't be able to get back to this for at least a week. When I do I'll give your version of the F4 a go and try to do a fly off with the various models in a larger indoor space and outside when the weather allows.

Curt
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
why mot stretch the fuse between the wing and rudder? would give you a better chance at balancing and would give you more flat vertil surface with out making a giant rudder. orrrrrr just use my plastic template as a filler that people can cut out of those flat bubble packages and glue it into the rudder them selves. this way you dont really have to re-desighn it just add an extra part.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperguy View Post
why mot stretch the fuse between the wing and rudder? would give you a better chance at balancing and would give you more flat vertil surface with out making a giant rudder. orrrrrr just use my plastic template as a filler that people can cut out of those flat bubble packages and glue it into the rudder them selves. this way you dont really have to re-desighn it just add an extra part.
If you check out Curt's post, he moved the wing forward an inch. had favorable results doing that. After reading some on why his idea worked (have some books on designing), will try to move the wing forward and try to keep a scale look, rather than lengthing the fuselage.

As far as the modifications you're using, trying to do these in cardstock so that they will work. That is why not using foam. Thank you for the offer of sending it.

Goal is to be able to print them out and easy to fly them.

Just need to get some homework done on them to see if it is possible for them to fly, without a bunch of mods.

Mike
Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 AM

F4 Phantom Changes

Working on the F4-Phantom. Since it seems to be the worst flyer so far.

Last night redrew it and printed. Tonight cut it out and built it.

1-hour total from start of cutting till it was ready for flight.

Major changes made include 3 deg wing incidence, larger stabilizer (25% of wing area) and less laminations. Only laminations used are up front in the nose to make it last longer from hard landings as well as balance weight.

Model weighed in at 8.03 grams!

Used Zip Dry glue for the second time on a model and I really like it. Only issue is the fumes.

Still used a curved airfoil, which made it harder to construct. Going to a flat wing on the next one.

Flights were conducted. Nothing to brag about! Did have one good flight after cutting some elevator tabs on the stabilizer. Climbed slightly and then dropped its nose, once it had flying speed it started to climb again, then hit a wall... Indoor flying has its drawbacks!

Most flights it dropped a wing and a spin was next.

Going to concentrate on getting it and the F-100 flying this weekend!

Each time I modify one, the paint will change.

Photos Show the new F4-Paint scheme.
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-ba1.jpg
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-ba2.jpg
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-ba3.jpg

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
A Russian publication has a lot of free free-flight profile models on their website. Most of them are WWI and WWII airplanes but there are also some jets. If these things fly well they may shed some light on the design process for Mike's models.

skaz

Of course the model I like best is the Blue Nose Mustang. Last night in the hospital I did not sleep, so after awhile I decided to get something out of the night and I pieced together two full profiles to use as a covering for a foam model. The attached the original .jpg and two files that I created are attached below.

Once I get back home I think that building this one and perhaps a few of the others might provide a pleasant distraction.

Curt
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 PM

New Download In Aviation Cold War Area

Hi Everyone,

Just uploaded a version of the F4 Phantom glider. Used the Marine "paint" for the upload.

You can find it in the Downlods- Aviation, Military, Cold War, section once the mods approve it.

It is the result of the comments made from the Beta-Bulders in this thread.

I want to say a very big THANK YOU! to them for their help and advice.

No instructions, minimum part count, simple design and construction.

Hope you enjoy it!

Please share any comments you might have!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 01-29-2015, 10:30 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo