PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Thanks again for the comments, fellow paperists. They are appreciated. I will certainly pass on any build feedback I receive.

@douglasmarrel: "finish" ??? New word to me. I have no idea what it means ;-) . Go on... you know you want to....

My understanding is that Myanmar, while not officially using the metric system, mostly uses traditional Burmese units. So that leaves the US and Liberia as the Imperial holdouts. Not too long ago I was conversing with a British couple who were renovating their home. They mentioned that when ordering new drapery, the height was typically measured in meters, but the width was measured in inches. Who knew drapes could be so complex?

--jeff
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
One curious thing to mention:

Although here in Colombia we use metric, in almost all our life, we still use "letter" size paper for common use (office, photocopies etc.). And it is very very hard to find A4 paper in reams. If not impossible. To get "A" sizes I've had to buy the whole big pages and cut them to size.

Another extended use we make of the imperial system is in the fuel. It is still measured in gallons.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM

I just uploaded a revised version of the beta kit. Added some 'about' information, copyright, etc., added a few fold indicators which may not have been obvious. Also revised the scale markings to indicate both inches and centimeters.

Are the cut and fold lines self evident in this kit? Would it be worth the time to create a cut/fold diagram? They seem obvious to me but I've been staring at this thing for days and days now.

Thanks,

--jeff
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
I am worried about attaching the gondolas to the keel, no instruction is given leaving the builder on his own. Parts PO-1 and PO-2, the airscrews do not have printed front sides, although they are visible.
Vertical rudders are generally called elevators in English.
Beautiful model.

Last edited by ringmaster; 10-20-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM

More feed back! I love it!

Good point on the propellers. I'll incorporate that. The 'horizontal rudders' (s.07) should be renamed elevators. Not sure why I wrote it that way but I'll make the change. (I'm not thoroughly convinced that 'horizontal rudder' would be an inappropriate term for 1914, but 'elevator' is certainly the more accepted current term.)

Ah, the gondolas. Yeah.... From what I can tell from photographs, they were suspended under the central keel by three pairs of cables and then had aluminum girders attached fore and aft to provide stability. I think the best representation would come from using thin lengths stiffened thread or wire. To be honest, I've yet to decide how to do it. I suspect anything in paper would be so fragile as to be pointless. There's also something that extends from the engines in the gondolas to the airscrews. I can't determine if they were chain driven or had some sort of shaft (probably).

Recently I've come to believe that the front gondola had a windshield attached to it. Perhaps the rear gondola did too, but I think that's less likely. Such a windshield is probably in the works. One of the things I found challenging about this model is that the zeppelin itself is large. But that means that fine detail parts are super thin and fragile.

Thanks!

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I love Zeppelins. Had a quick look at your design, and miss tabs needed to 'close' the various segments of the envelope, so they become 17-sided tubes?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Not true - the UK's official measurement system is metric but there are special dispensations such as the road signs which still use miles. There was a recent article in our local Oz papers about what Brexit will mean for measurements - there are the Poms who want to go back to the Imperial system when England leaves the EU.

Regards,

Charlie
thats interesting as all the time i was there we used inches,feet.miles
pounds and ounces.metric might be official but no one has told the population
Old 10-20-2016, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Right ol' mixup here now. We buy petrol by the litre, but still drive by Miles per hour and miles per gallon. Signposts still give distances in miles (I've not seen a Km one yet). Most modern(ish) cars have digital mileometers with both available, but everyone I know still switches them to miles. Of course the old bangers that I mostly drive don't have the Km option anyway.

Most shops pretty much sell everything in Kg/gm weights and most liquids are now in litres, but there are many street markets where the Costermongers are doggedly hanging on to Pounds and ounces. They've tried to force them to change to metric by taking them to court, but I don't think there's been a successful prosecution yet. Pounds, Shillings, and pence are long gone now though, and it's only ol' duffers like me that object to paying £1.50 for a sixpenny ice cream cone.

Here in Wales all the signposts have to be bi-lingual as well. By the time you've read through the Welsh to get to the English words ... you've gorn past it anyway.

Listening to the rumblings here ... if UK do ever actually achieve Brexit (I'm not convinced I'll live to see it happen) I reckon the Taffs won't be too far behind the Jocks with our own independence referendums.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Right ol' mixup here now. We buy petrol by the litre, but still drive by Miles per hour and miles per gallon. Signposts still give distances in miles (I've not seen a Km one yet). Most modern(ish) cars have digital mileometers with both available, but everyone I know still switches them to miles. Of course the old bangers that I mostly drive don't have the Km option anyway.

Most shops pretty much sell everything in Kg/gm weights and most liquids are now in litres, but there are many street markets where the Costermongers are doggedly hanging on to Pounds and ounces. They've tried to force them to change to metric by taking them to court, but I don't think there's been a successful prosecution yet. Pounds, Shillings, and pence are long gone now though, and it's only ol' duffers like me that object to paying £1.50 for a sixpenny ice cream cone.

Here in Wales all the signposts have to be bi-lingual as well. By the time you've read through the Welsh to get to the English words ... you've gorn past it anyway.

Listening to the rumblings here ... if UK do ever actually achieve Brexit (I'm not convinced I'll live to see it happen) I reckon the Taffs won't be too far behind the Jocks with our own independence referendums.

I remember long after decimal currency in uk we were on an excersize taking ATC up snowdon.There was a pub in Betws-y-coed who still qouted all his prices in pounds,shillings and pence
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This is a great team effort.

Its appreciated.