PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Jeff,

Did you have a building sequence in mind for the forward section. It appears that you would first have to assemble f.03 to e.04 and then e.04 to f.04 to get the perfect alignment you will need to attach f.04 to f.05 later in the build.

Since there were no tabs, I tried starting with gluing the bottom side of e.04 to f.03 while both parts were flat. Then I began curving both parts by gluing the next tab on f.03 and so on. This did not work well. So now I am starting with making rings of all the parts and then I will start with e.04 working forward.

If neither of these methods were intended, please let me know let me know your assembly thoughts.

John
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
@John: I imagine the front section would be easier to build from front to back. E.g., form the front cone e.01, attach f.01, attach e.02 then f.02, etc. Though, I haven't built anything in seven years so this is just how I intend to attack it. It may change. My first thought was to use butt joints with joining strips but I've added tabs anyway. They can always be cut away.

A new version has been uploaded with changes suggested in this thread (mostly minor): the aforementioned tabs to the envelope sections, fold marks in areas that may be confusing, simplified scale markings, both sides for the propellers.

The page size has been changed from 7x10in to 8.5x11in, though the print area has remained at 7x10in. I found that my printer drivers(?) just couldn't deal with a custom page size. I think this should maintain A4/US Letter compatibility.

--jeff
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Jeff,

After studying the drawings again, it appears to me, that the whether you work from the front or the back, you will always have to glue the connector ring to the top of the envelope ring first ( f.01 to e.02; f.02 to e.03; f.03 to e.04). You might use that as a cautionary note.

Regards,
John
Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 AM

John,

Earlier you said that when you started by gluing e.04 to f.03 and working your way around from the bottom that it did not work well. What was the issue? Was it fit? Did the shapes seem off?

I cut out the parts for the nose section late yesterday and will probably start gluing today. Once I had the parts in hand and did some dry-fitting, that sequence seemed to make perfect sense so that's how I intended to start.

Thanks,

--jeff
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 PM

The problem was trying to curve two separate pieces at the same time and keep everything aligned. It was not a fit problem; it was a builder problem. After trying the assembled ring method on the foremost connector ring, I agree that the best method is the one you are going to use. I am in the process of reprinting the connector rings and have arrived at a gluing process that will work for me. As soon as I have the connector rings on e.04, e.03 and e.02, I will post photos of the four separate envelope rings before assembling the foreword section.
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 AM

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. I've started a build log on the forum to keep me motivated.

--jeff
Old 10-28-2016, 10:06 PM

This first photo shows the process that I used to connect the glue strips to the envelope strips. I creased both type strips and then glued the glue strip to the envelope strips before I closed the envelope ring.
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 scale Zeppelin beta builder(s) wanted...-20161027_011310.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 PM

I closed the rings with a butt joint using a piece of scrap. I am in the process of gluing the former ring (f.04) onto e.04.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 PM

For some reason, I cannot post with photos. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Crash and Burn...

Ouch! f.04 was a deal killer for me.

I continued building over the weekend but quickly found that my fear that the internal formers were going to be too large proved true. I need to reduce them in order to get them to fit into the envelope cylinders.

Is there any rule of thumb when designing internal parts to allow for paper thicknesses? Like... circular formers should have a diameter equivalent to 98% of the diameter of the 'outside' parts?

Fit issues are particularly labor intensive revisions to make considering my design process but I don't know how to solve them without iterative test builds. Any advice would be appreciated. (Actually... I should have known better than to do all the graphics before ensuring the parts fit together!)

--jeff
Google Adsense