PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 12-28-2021, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beta Builder needed - for HMS Captain 1870 (Orel 1/200)

Hi, I've ordered the Orel HMS Captain 1870 with all the fixings (laser etched parts, wood deck, cloth sails, etc).) from the Ukraine. Scale is 1/200, so about 20-inches long?

I need an old experienced hand to build this for us. Would be nice to have it for lectures, presentations, etc.

Was also thinking it might be presented as a Gift to Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles and his family (whom I am working with now to find the wreck of the Captain, off Cape Finisterre).

Aside from a scratch build in comparable scale the Orel is the only kit I've found if this particular Victorian capital ship...

I can be contacted directly at H.Fuller (at) wlv.ac.uk.

Cheers for your consideration!

Last edited by nikischutt; 12-28-2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Removed direct email link
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2021, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Other than your email address giving some clue of your location, it might be wise to state which country/city you're currently in.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
Other than your email address giving some clue of your location, it might be wise to state which country/city you're currently in.
The gentleman's email address is via Wolverhampton University. A search on their website brings up more details.

Did also find a build thread:

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [R] HMS "Captain", 1870 r. (BM, 1:200)

Looks like a fun build

Tim
Old 12-29-2021, 10:11 AM

Hi, many thanks for your reply--and especially for the link to Konradus.com. I have tried to contact the builder about help building another one for us.

About myself: I recently completed a book on the subject of HMS Captain:
Turret versus Broadside | Wolverhampton Military Studies | Helion & Company

I am also scheduled to give a public talk on the ship for the American Civil War Round Table (UK), on 22 January at the Civil Service Club, London:

The Loss of HMS Captain: The Civil War Origins of the Victorian Navy’s Greatest Tragedy | acwrt.org.uk

Of course I’d love to be able to present this completed model for the audience (both in person, and for viewers who pay to watch the talk via Zoom, etc.)

As I indicated above, Sir Sherard Louis Cowper-Coles is the great grandson of Captain Cowper Coles, who nominally designed and built HMS Captain—and then went down with his own ship off Cape Finisterre (7 September, 1870); I have been working with Sir Sherard recently, and he intends to also be present at the talk in London on 22 January.

We are setting up a charitable ‘Find the Captain’ Trust, which hopes to raise money to charter a marine survey expedition to locate and identify the wreck of the Captain. From my research we believe it is about 20 nautical miles off the coast of Spain, at a depth of around 1,300 metres (not an easy find!)

Sorry for intruding upon everyone like this, and in something of a rush. I only just discovered the Orel kit a few days ago, and went to Papermodelers.com looking for someone experience and talented (and hopefully free) to build this for us.

Many sincere thanks for your consideration,

Howard

p.s.: I am an American citizen who has been living in the UK now for 25 years--and teaching War Studies and Military History at the University of Wolverhampton (UK) since 2005. I live near Telford, West Midlands (Shropshire).
Old 12-29-2021, 10:45 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Howard,

Your story is very interesting. It would be great fun to hear more about the future effort (if successful) to locate and identify the wreck of “The Captain”.

Regarding your search for a Beta Builder: This is the right place for paper model builders.
However, to have a model like that built by the time you give your lecture (Jan 22) might not be possible.
You would need to find someone near your location, someone very fast, and someone very capable. Quite a difficult assignment. But I wish you success.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-29-2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Google Adsense
Old 12-29-2021, 10:54 AM

Cheers for your support (and advice) Mike:

If we couldn't get a model done by then, we could still certainly make good use of it for future talks and presentations (we are setting up another one for the Royal Geographical Society for late spring/early summer, for example.)

People love to see the 'real thing' not just a photo or painting on a PowerPoint slide... Someone's build here could quite literally help us pull together the major funding we need to equip an expedition armed with deep-sea AUVs and ROVs to find the real deal off Cape Finisterre (no pressure!) Seriously though, the whole project--what we do at sea, in the archives, recreating ships--is about capturing the imagination.

ANYONE experienced in here who could have a go at the Orel HMS Captain please just let me know. My own skill range stops at 1:600 scale gaming miniatures--and I can only appreciate how much finesse is needed for paper models like these...