PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Bookshelf

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Death traps

This book, by Belton Cooper is a tremendous history of 3rd armor from a maintenance standpoint by an observant and intellegent officer. Many of you have likely read this one, but I had not, and still am amazed at some of the facts brought out by this first hand account.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
ummm Glen?

Got a link or other info on the book?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yes, I read this one a couple years back and was depressed by the reality of his descriptions of the shabby state of his charges after a battle. I learned a lot from this one.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Yes, some descriptions rather graphic, but I think probably accurate
Amazon.com: Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II: Belton Y. Cooper: Books
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Belton Coopers' experience in the war in Europe was definitely a rather rough road to go for a young man who had never seen a body prior to opening the hatch on a shot up Sherman. That he had to experience cleaning them out, slapping on some paint after repairing them to running condition and send them right back out for more was a raw experience for just about anyone. He has appeared on a number of the Military and History Channels' shows speaking about his experiences and opinions of those times. I will have to check this book out for sure. Thanks for the heads up.
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow, I'll have to pay attention for him. I would love to hear him talk on video about his experiences. I've never read a better description of the consequences of "quantity over quality" in war than he gave. It upset me quite a lot.

Carl
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM

I haven't found this book upsetting, and admire the inguinuity used to overcome superior armor using coordinated airpower and spotter aircraft to monitor locations of the opposing force. This seems completely dependant on air superiority, and mobility of forces rather than armor firepower. Historical insights from one who was there. Certainly an alternative to war would have been better, but that's not the way it happened. I recently met an elderly gentleman who reported to me that he went in at Utah beach on June 5, 1944 in the night, apparently tasked with removing obstacles for the invasion, which was not possible, he ended up with 3rd armor and told some unbeleivable stories, which prompted me to get this book.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Just got and read this book based on opinions here. Based on experiences from my Army career the book is all too believable. I found myself nodding in agreement as the author and the ingenious maintenance crews encountered and dealt with problems that could have so easily been prevented. This is a very well-written book by a man forced to grow up almost literally overnight. A good read.

I knew a man who was part of a tank recovery crew during the war. When he talked about his experiences, which wasn't often, he would break down and weep when describing the condition of the shot up and burned men in the tanks they recovered. Truly an awful thing.