PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Cami's Projects

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I knew nothing of this car. Talk about being ahead of its time ...

24 hours??? Holy sheep dip
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.59 MB
From an old time car guy- this is awesome
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
That 1939 Duesenberg Simone is simply beautiful!
I recall seeing the same design style used in a comic, described therein as a "Phantom Corsair". Later that same name was used in selling a Hotwheels "Classic" (sub-range, marketed in the late 1990's) that replicates the Simone you show here pretty much exactly.

As for the Simone herself: that would make one stunning and beautiful model car, in whatever scale it was built.
I like the idea of a raked V windscreen.
Scale is a personal preference topic, but that said, I'd build the Simone in both 1:24, 1:48 and 1:72 scales, as it would thus fit several collections I am planning.

Kind and Respectful Regards Cami, Uyraell.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 AM

I should have added in my post above:
Prior to today I had never seen an image of the actual Duesenberg Simone.
It is interesting seeing how close my thoughts and that vehicle actually are.

As to the wheels, there I am likely at variance with some of my friends here on forum.
I favour steel wheels, ventilated discs. Reason being that as with the Simone, I'd prefer the wheels covered-in as it were, simply because that is a far more stylish look, in my opinion.

Kind and Respectful Regards Cami, Uyraell.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quite a wonderful thing...a girl speaking "car." That Deusy would look great! I normally do not fool with paper autos, but this just might get me into the game!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 AM

In 2000 I attended the Pan Pacific Vintage Car Rally, in Hamilton, NZ.
Among the 1,860 vehicles present were a 1928(?) Duesenberg supercharged V12 (V16?) and a Bentley Blower 4.5 Litre, also 1928.
The Bentley, as is the case with that particular model, is visually "imposing". The viewer is very aware of its' presence.
By contrast, the Duesenberg is even more so, and is withal, immense. The viewer is, quite simply, awed.

Perhaps the difference is in the visual impact of the Duesenberg. The viewer is very aware of the exhaust pipes exiting the side panels of the long hood that covers the motor. Perhaps it is the chrome highlighted piping set against the lustrous midnight black of the bodywork. Regardless, the Duesenberg is more visually impressive than the Bentley, despite being of similar (albeit about 25% larger) dimensions.

It remains one of few cars I'd wish to own. And that list is by no means a long one.

Seeing the Duesenberg Simone called to mind the black Duesenberg I had seen in 2000, and rekindled my memories and impressions of it.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Quote:
I recall seeing the same design style used in a comic, described therein as a "Phantom Corsair".
The Phantom Corsair is a unique car built on a Cord chassis in 1938. It has been designed by a Heinz (the king of ketchup!) family member. It is in the steamlined spirit of the time just like the 1934-37 Chrysler Airflow was... and the Beetle! Although, the common car buyer did not like the Airflow look and Chrysler introduced the more conservative Airstream design in '36 to boost sales. I think were going that way, something that has a little of the Cord flavor with some more traditionnal elements... truly I will have to make some sketches this week-end and see what you think and what direction we take from there. Keep sharing your ideas, that is going to be a very fun project I believe! The 1938 Buick Y-Job as an interesting design as well.

Quote:
Quite a wonderful thing...a girl speaking "car."
That is the world I grew in. I make alot of new friend when I tour with my '59 Ford Custom 300.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-corsair.jpg   Vintage Style Car-1938-buick-y-job-concept-car.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Smile Streamlining.

For want of a more apt term, the "flow-wave" effect seen in the Airflow, Y-Job, Phantom Corsair and Simone is rather similar to some of the Delahaye and Delage designs of the same era, as is also seen in the Bugatti Atlantique and which remnant survives in the 1959 Bentley Continental Type R, which is why I mentioned that marque in my description post above. I suppose the final remnant emerges in sheet-metal in the 4.2 Litre Jaguar E Type of 1968.

After that time "Streamlining" as seen in the above examples in effect gives way to mobile legoblocks and brute automotive force in many marques of vehicle, and never truly reappears until the mid to late 1990's, and even then in often abominable "squished jellybean" form.

All of which accounts heavily for my ongoing preference for cars of the era and style we discuss when speaking of the Phantom Corsair, Bentley Continental Type R, Simone, and even the (nowadays unremarked) 1938 Tatra "Streamline Saloon" series.
{For those who may not know of this vehicle: think of a VW Beetle the same size as a Dodge Dart, with a rear-mounted aircooled 180 to 240 HP V8 (in some versions, also Supercharged and Turbocharged ) and the gearbox/transaxle mounted forward, roughly between (what would be) the rear seat of the VW. The bodywork is very much in tune with the streamlined vehicles we are discussing here, and looks very much like a VW Beetle on steroids, but much better sculpted and proportioned.}

I too am greatly enjoying our discussion.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 02-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Cami, there is a way to achieve those smooth aerodynamic curves in paper, but it involves creating a master then casting the body in liquid paper. Something to think about.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Been following this with great interest. Love somebody mentioned the Tatra, one I've been trying to develop the skills to do one. Here's a couple of photos of Tatra 77s and a Talbot Lago T150 teardrop coupe. Also don't forget the Stout Scarab.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-tatra-t77a-1936-overhead.jpg   Vintage Style Car-tatra-t77-3-view.jpg   Vintage Style Car-tatra-77-1935-rr-overhead.jpg   Vintage Style Car-talbot-1938-t150-c-ss-teardrop-coupe-side-rt.jpg   Vintage Style Car-stout-scarab-1.jpg  

Google Adsense