PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Cami's Projects

Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Vintage Style Car

Hi guys,

Here is an idea I got this morning. The Automovil Moderno in the civilian wheels section is growing on me and I tought "what if I design a vintage style car of my own?". I really want to make it looks like it was design in the 1930-1960 period. Now, if you agree, as vintage experts, to help and pitch in your ideas, I could sketch, design and share it in the download section once it is finished. I need your suggestions about scale, body style, styling cues and everything that might be useful. Sounds like a good idea? Let me know.

Cami
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Count me in, Cami. So if I understand you correctly, you're looking to build a vintage "style" car, but not a model of an actual vehicle. Like Sr Vigara, you want to bring together the "best" design elements from the period, and make a composite vehicle that pulls them together. I think 1/24 is a popular car scale, and folks like me who like to build small can easily shrink it down (easier than blowing up a small model). Running boards, hard cased spare tires mounted behind the front fenders (like a 40 Buick), wood panelling the sides, Pierce Arrow style headlights. 2-tone paint, wide white walls, fender skirts in the rear. Sun visor ....hey, this is fun.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Sounds like good idea ! Let's go...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
The 30s and into the 40s was the great era of rumble seats. This may clash with hard-cased spares in the front fenders, but is compatible with uncased spares in the front fenders. It all depends on whether your generic vintage car is closer to the luxury end of the spectrum or the inexpensive, runabout end.

I'm not sure how to make an operating rumble seat in a paper model, but as some paper models have opening doors and hoods, I'll bet some clever people could figure it out.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Here is my suggestion, a 1936 Cord, one of the "swoopiest" automobiles ever. AND, I know how to achieve the complex curves in paper as long as you design it in either 1/25th scale or larger. Among car modelers, 1/16 scale is also quite acceptable. Of course, the larger the scale, the more detail you can put in.

You design it, or something that looks like it, and I'll show ya'll how to build it.

I can get more reference photos, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-1936-cord.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
More on the 1936 Cord from Jay Leno:
Jay Leno and his 1936 Cord 810/812 - The Beautiful Baby Duesenberg That Never Caught On - Popular Mechanics

] It had a 125" wheelbase

The last image of the dash is large enough to create a detailed dash in scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-1936-cord-2.jpg   Vintage Style Car-1936-cord-3.jpg   Vintage Style Car-1936-cord-4.jpg   Vintage Style Car-1936-cord-5.jpg   Vintage Style Car-1936-cord-6.jpg  

Last edited by cdavenport; 02-09-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Cami,

I do not know what part of Canada is your home.
However, If you are not too far from Indiana, you should go to the Aurburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum in Aurburn, Indiana and see the real cars.
See: http://www.automobilemuseum.org/Pages/default.aspx

Ken
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I like the idea you have, Cami.

Here are my thoughts on a car style, incorporating the timespan you speak of.
Give it the long and low look of the 1949 Lincoln Mercury hardtop two door "fastback" coupe.
The hood over the engine could have a slightly raised portion on the right side, for the supercharger intake duct. It should be a fairly long hood, in the Duesenberg style.
The sides of the vehicle should incorporate the flowing contourlines of the Bentley Continental Type R of 1959.
And the nose of the vehicle should replicate the Cord812, complete with covered headlights.
The cockpit should have a raked windscreen, and be relatively short of roofline, somewhat in the style of the Bugatti Atlantique.

In short, I'm proposing a melange/blending of several of the most well-known and stylish rare-marque vehicles of their respective eras.

Kind and Respectful Regards Cami, Uyraell.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I don't know if that concept is what you are looking to do, but I like it. A model that looks like you should know what it is, but as you research what you think it is, you realize it isn't. The discussion on RPS's thread makes me think that a model as Uyraell proposes would be terribly interesting.

But only if that is what you want to do.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Wow!

So many ideas in about 12 hours! Harley Earl himself would have been jealous!!! ACD... what else?! The Gordon Buehrig's design are apart from anything else. So far, I guess we are talking about a 1/24 scale late thirties cabriolet with a rumble seat or a coupe/sedanette body style, large whitewalls (steel wheels w/ hubcaps or wire?), fender mounted spare tires, a long hood and raked windshield (V-type?). Covered headlights are tempting, but Pierce-Arrow's incorporated units may work as well. That description makes me think about the streamlined 1939 Duesenberg Simone. Let's see what the next 24 hours will bring us!

Cami
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-1939-duesenberg-simone.jpg  
Google Adsense