PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh poop!

Well I can't seem to win for nothin this year. Bad enough the Ex walked out with the kids and Dad's cancer is acting up. Now My desktop is DEAD.... I am reduced to My company issued notebook. A minor issue compared to the others but dangit!!!! I am hoping to recover most of the data on My old drive and transfer to a new pc later. Till then I'm a reader.:(

Man, any body have spare mojo, kick it over My way please!!!...
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
dead how, powerwise? software wise? maybe I can help...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 AM

It keeps rebooting. Ive tried restarting in safe mode... no joy. I've tried repairing with OS disk and get missing component errors. Even tried reinstalling windows to a new drive with the intention of installing the original drive as a slave...same issue "missing component cannot continue press any key to exit"....

I think the poor thing is done. Long time coming tho. It's a P3!!! Old as dirt and slower than a banana slug!!

So, I'm thinking I will get a new-er machine and then try to salvage any photos, files and what not.

However, I am open to suggestions for sure. I am bored to death without it and it will be a while before I can save the scratch to replace it....
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
A small linux OS might give new life to your old computer.

You can put Puppy Linux on a thumb drive and boot from that without using the hard-drive.

See:
Puppy Linux Community - Home

If you are able to access the hard-drive with Puppy, you may be able to save your files.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I second the puppy linux idea. If your computer is not completely fried, you might be able to boot from a Live Puppy CD or USB thumb drive.

You will need access to another computer with internet in order to download Puppy Linux and burn the program to a CD or save it to a USB drive. If you do not know how, there are how to links on the puppy site, and the people on the puppy forums are usually nicer than the usual linux propellor head forum troll.

Have a USB drive plugged into your zombie computer when you boot with Puppy. You might have to hold down one of the function keys of your computer to allow it to boot from a CD or external drive. That will depend on your own computer set up.

If Puppy Linux runs, "mount" the external drive then use the drive manager or drag the files you want to salvage from the old to new drive. Mounting is easy, just click on the icon that looks like a drive, and click on mount for the drives you want to access. Linux lets you turn drive function on and off, by mounting and unmounting the drives.

Except for having to mount the drives, Puppy Linux interface is similar enough to Windows that it is easy to jump into. I am not a computer guru, but have used puppy several times to rescue ailing or infected windows computers. Compared to other Linuxs it is relatively easy for a windows user to jump in and be able to do basic stuff with puppy in no time. I was even able to conect to dial up with puppy following the instructions in the program, and this is something that is usually very very hard to do with Linux

If you are able to pull your files out of your old computer, DON"T forget to run a couple of virus and spyware scans on the data on the off chance it was a virus that hit your computer. Use anti virus products from several different vendors, most of the big reputable anti virus companies offer a free on line emergency anti virus scan.

Good luck, stock up on lots of sugar snacks before you start, it will be a frustrating and time consuming process, and a sugar buzz might help you through the process.
If it works for you think about sending Barry Kauler, who developed Puppy Linux a 10 dollar bill.

PS If the drive itself is OK, and it is something else in the computer that croaked, you can take it to a computer sop and they can pull the drive out, plug it into another computer and salvage your files. That costs money however. Do you know any of the IT guys where you work? They are an interesting group of people, ocassionaly you might encounter one who will work for beer.
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The cheapest solution...

How big is the hard drive?
If it is of substantial size then it can be used as a secondary or external drive for storage....
(If you have files that just have to be saved, then this is also the option)

I had a similar situation where my main harddrive became corrupted and I couldn't start the system...it was partitioned, and I had files in the partitions that I wanted.
So I replaced my main operating drive, and partitioned it again.
Then I installed the old drive as a "slave", and was able to access the partitions to retrieve my files.

Buy a new hard drive for the computer.
It doesn't have to be a very big one...buy the cheapest one you can find.
Maybe even an old used HD...
Just big enough for operating system and program files.
(If you are running XP, you can survive with around 20gb)
There are plenty of older used parts for sales these days. Check your local Kijiji or Craigslist or Newspaper Ads.
Ask at the local PC repair shop for an old used HD.
I have a box full, you can have one if you come get it!

Then install Windows and setup your PC, reinstall all programs, etc.
Then set your old removed harddrive to slave (most HDs have instructions on them)
and install it into the working PC.
Windows should recognize the drive and allow you to access it as a storage drive.
Once in there, backup all the files you need to and then format the drive (wiping it clean)
There could be a virus error on that drive, this is why you must wipe it.

You now use the maindrive for your operating system and the second drive as storage for all files...if you ever have to repair or reinstall Windows again, you won't lose anything on the second drive.
If the second drive is too small for storage, get your files off it and discard it.(Replace it with a larger drive for storage.)
Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks much for all the feed back Guys! I will keep You all updated as to how this pans out.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.11 MB
Most common cause of reboot-cycling is an out-of-date or missing "Windows Update Agent" (WUA).

Try downloading the latest version from here.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up Wow talk about a change of fortune!!

I believe I have this issue whooped!! Turns out a super hero found Me and saved My rear end!
It looks like not only will I be back in business but, I will be in much better shape than I was before. I am truly grateful for all Your help guys! And especially thankful to one member whom has gone way beyond "good Samaritan" and opened up some new and broader avenues for a stranger who was down on His luck.

There are allot of super people here at papermodelers!.............Mike