PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Will anyone be transferring some of their threads?

Just wondering how others who have put a lot of effort into Build and Tutorial threads at the old homeplace feel about the possibility of transferring? I see that Ekuth pulled his Mercury capsule one over.

It would be a lot of work, but if this site gains critical mass, an argumant can be made that this is where you'd want all that good info (particularly if the other place goes away). I hate to be negative, but I'm a little worried...

Obviously, you could only realistically duplicate your own original posts, but that would OK, they'd be nice and clean!

One question would be whether there would be any "copyright" issues with doing this? The way I feel is the original material posted by me (text and pics) would be "mine", but as they were posted somewhere else, would that be a legit cause for friction?

Rick
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
I would argue that since you are the author of the info (thread) you retain ownership of it regardless of where it lies.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I figure that the past is the past. I'm happy to find out that some people have saved tutorials and that they can be reconstituted over here. I'm agonizing about whether to only post future threads here. I hate to be disloyal since Peter gave us a nice home for a while.

Carl
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
I agree, Peter has been good to us and he has put a lot of time and effort into the other forum. I admit it will be funny posting the same article in both forums, will have to see what happens.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
To be dead honest, I'm not looking at it as disloyalty. True, Cardmodels.net was my home for a long time, and due to circumstances beyond Peter's control, it has become virtually un-usable.

Without beating a dead horse, the site is horrendously slow and I don't like to be bombarded with ads, among other issues.

Already this site has the look, feel and community that I had grown to know and love.

I respect Peter for all his work and hope that the old site improves and solves the issues currently plaguing it.

As others have stated, Papermodeling deserves a site dedicated solely to this wonderful hobby, and the wonderful community that drives it.
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekuth View Post
As others have stated, Papermodeling deserves a site dedicated solely to this wonderful hobby, and the wonderful community that drives it.
Here Here!! Well said. And that was really the problem with the old site. Peter failed to understand that the comunity didn't want to be dumped in with all those other forums he runs. In a way sad but true.

Never mind! we have a nice new home here.... and that's exactly what it felt like as soon as I walked in here, HOME! With a lot of people I respect.

One of the main problems was with Peter not being a card modeler, although he spent time with the forum he didn't really understand us.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
For my own two bits worth, I think it would be better to "start clean" with respect to threads. Nothing says we have to be members of just one group. I'm in hopes that we can retain the best from our prior incarnations so far as the spirit of this site is concerned, rather than the "content." I'm hoping this is not an attempt to clone the old site, but rather an effort to progress beyond it. From looking at the member list so far, there is a tremendous potential for development. One of the reasons I've been holding off on putting up an avatar is I want to establish a new and improved "identity" to reflect the new site.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I agree about the general threads. Leave them there. I still plan on visiting both sites. There will still be lots of members at both places that will have questions I would like to see tutorials rewritten here as articles in the wiki.
Chris
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
[soapbox]
I'm a little unsettled by the CM.net bashing in this thread. Sure, it's had it's problems recently, but they are being worked out, and the ripples will smooth. I don't see why the two forums shouldn't run together in harmony. I run a Bismarck model builder's forum, and I openly provide a link to another forum. The admin of that forum does the same and everybody is happy. Some people prefer my forum, some the other forum - no problem - people are free to come and go as they wish. There has never been any bashing the opponent so to speak. We have a great hobby. Petty distractions are merely that - petty and we shouldn't give them more weight than they deserve.
[/soapbox]
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Yes, I too will visit both homes. However, still waiting on my lost gallery. I see no
reason why the build threads should be moved. Having them in the multi-discipline
site would expose them, and therefore raise curiosity, among other modellers.

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense