PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
F-111s streak towards retirement

well it seems that Australia is about to retire the F-111's the last ones still in use. i suppose that should be in active service in the world really

F-111s streak towards retirement | Herald Sun
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
A very sad occasion indeed. A sophisticated and beautiful aircraft. Just listen to the power on throttle up coming out of the short dip AWESOME

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I am fond of the Aardvark as well. We have an F/B-111A here at the museum. I've been in both seats a number of times. It's quite a different breed from "modern" fighter/bombers, but it was a great workhorse. Lots of firsts on this bird.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I was suprised to see tney are still going.

How old are they now?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
They'd be getting onto 40 years old - think they were delivered in the early 70s...be a shame to see the last of the grunter fighters disappear from our skies...
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I thought I was old when I found an aircraft that I flew in a museum. Now EVERYTHING I flew are retired, so I must be REALLY old. Still think I'm a 20-year-old on the inside.

Still, it's sad to see an era come to an end. But they did their duty, for better or worse Australia is still ran by the Australians. I guess the taxpayers got their money's worth. It must be hard to get parts for something when the the production line was closed four decades ago. Try finding the proper motor to go into your 8-Track quadrophonic player.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
I thought I was old when I found an aircraft that I flew in a museum. Now EVERYTHING I flew are retired, so I must be REALLY old. Still think I'm a 20-year-old on the inside.

Still, it's sad to see an era come to an end. But they did their duty, for better or worse Australia is still ran by the Australians. I guess the taxpayers got their money's worth. It must be hard to get parts for something when the the production line was closed four decades ago. Try finding the proper motor to go into your 8-Track quadrophonic player.
I know exactly what you mean Seeing as you mentioned something VERY old.... and i know this aint anything to do with this paper world - but should bring back some memories for us oldies here ENJOY

Google Image Result for http://www.rewindmuseum.com/images3/gl75.gif
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Flying old planes remind me of the Rhodesian days - sanctions meant ancient planes in the skies were commonplace.

Old Dakotas, Hawker Hunters, EE Canberras were all operational aircraft. All with homemade bits and pieces!

Not to forget the De Havilland Vampires - T11's and FB's. Plywood bodies!

And then there were old civvie Cessna 337's that were converted and often fitted with FN MAG or Browning .30cal MGs, light rockets and small "frantan" bombs.

Bits used to fall off! But they all flew operationally and did a good job......
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
there must be a fairly good free kit of one around it be a lovely idea I think to get one and do a recolour as one as an Australian air force one. and who knows if we can find a photo of one of the ones that will make the last flight. Time for some bit of research then for a bit of relouring planning if anyone knows a nice free one and then we ask him can we put it as a download up here.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I don't know of any free F-111 kits. I know FlyModel made one, but I hear it's a bear to build
Google Adsense