PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Buying 42" LG HDTV - LCD/Plasma?

(Yes, I know this isn't an electronics forum, but a previous post by another member about TVs produced many good answers).

The prices of flat-screen TVs have come down substantially this year, so I'll pull the trigger soon. I'll probably get a 42" LG HDTV, but still not sure which type, even after doing a lot of research on various brands, etc. I was set on a plasma, but Best Buy just dropped the price on the LG LCD HDTV to almost the same price.

I have SD (digital cable) but I'm not getting HD channels quite yet (after adding taxes, environmental fees, and delivery I can just barely afford the TV).

Even with the 2010 plasmas there are still concerns about image retention and burn-in (although the common claim is that burn-in is nigh impossible these days). I notice many channels (and the on-screen cable program guide as well) display fixed color bars and logos, etc. that can leave after-images. I've seen some comments online that image retention often occurs and "don't worry about it because it'll go away soon".

On the other hand, I've also read that the 2010 LCD TVs don't deliver a good picture on SD - is this true?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Terry

Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
We have had a large plasma for 2+ years with no problems, certainly no burn-in and we have similar channels that display a logo onscreen...the colours are very bright and vibrant and the screen can be easily viewed across almost 180 degrees...the only LCDs we have are PC screens but the colours here don't seem as a'live' as the plasma...

One thing we did learn with the plasma after a year was to switch the brightness setting to normal which is a barely discernible change with the naked eye but which dropped $50+ off our monthly power bill - I kid you not!!! Apparently the TVs come delivered with the max brightness set as the default so that they look really good in well-lit showrooms but no one ever resets them for domestic use when they are delivered...

If you consider going above 42" consider the logicitcs of having to move the TV once all the packing has disappeared - we had a warranty problem with the sound and it was cheaper for the techs to travel four hours each way (we live rurally) twice than try to arrange for it to be shipped back to them for repair...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I just helped my Mother get into her first HD LCD TV

...boy it was a tight squeeze.
Not sure if we will ever get her out?!
ba dum bump!

(I don't have an LCD TV myself, still got my 32" tube TV...I watch most things on the PC anyway)
but I have to admit I did not realize how awful the regular Cable TV looks on an HD TV!

yes, the DVD stuff is fine.
Its just the regular Cable Television that is the problem.

She is not prepared to fork out the money for HD TV
(I don't blame her)
she can barely afford the basic channels at almost $60 a month!

I have never heard of any "image burn"...
I have been running a PC LCD screen for the last 3 years with no image burn visible, so I don't see why your TV would be any different?

So unless your panel has some sort of screen overlay, that is getting an image burnt into it?

Only reason I chimed in here is because I love LG products.
I have two LG DVD Burners, and an LG monitor and an LG Refrigerator!

Even all my tee shirts are LG! I used to wear Med., but now its all LG and X-LG.

...and you know what they say about a guy with LG feet?...LG shoes!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Yes, I've seen comments about the "10,000 miles from the sun" factory brightness settings for plasmas - maybe that's the reason people have issues with the screens months or years later...

$50/mo.? Wow...

I'm near-sighted and have the TV at the foot of my bed, so I don't see going larger than 42" anytime soon.

One vote for plasma then.

Thanks, SJPONeill!

Terry
Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks Dave (sorry about your mom's TV) - looks like another vote for plasma then...

Burn-in was about plasmas solely...

Terry
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Plasma TV's have improved and most will now last well over 5000 hours before needing to have the gas in the screen serviced. If your model can be serviced there is still the huge cost. Not only are plasmas a heavy energy drain most are open face ovens running your home cooling bill up. Many LCD's also pump heat but baring lightining and energy spikes they will live much longer than plasma. Seen a 47" HD beautiful image in wallyworld for under 700USD. What were they a year ago 12-14 hundred?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

"Plasma TV's have improved and most will now last well over 5000 hours before needing to have the gas in the screen serviced. If your model can be serviced there is still the huge cost."

DEATH ANGELS

Plasma TVs have closed cells only and don't get their gas "serviced".
2010 stated lifetimes for plasma TVs now go up to 100,000 hrs.

Still, another vote for plasma...

Thanks, DEATH ANGELS.

Terry
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

I had a TV repair shop for about 9 years. LG makes really really good products. Plasma TV's do not have the life span of LCD tv's. Just think about how many black and white LCD panels are still out there. Plasma TV's do however deliver a virtually immeasurable Latency. Any TV over 6 ms. may be visible to a trained eye. 4ms Latency is what you want. This is more important than the refresh rate. An LED LCD TV is the best bet for the money. The picture is incredible and the LED backlighting will probably out live most of the rest of the TV, certainly it's plasma brothers. Though Plasma TV's are exceptional, LCD's, high quality ones, IMHO are the way to go. Plasma TV's is a dying technology. The difference in viewing is somewhat of an illusion. Some LCD TV's have a matte screen in front of them, some have a glossy. I personally prefer the matte finish as this matches more of what you see in a theater. It also produces less reflection from windows or lighting.

I still use a 36 inch TV for viewing most TV programming. I use an LCD Projector for viewing movies at 100 inches (diagonal). I have dual 23 in. Acer X223 for the computer.

I would go for the LG, or better yet, get a SONY. Whatever you BUY the extended warranty. The given warranty is poor, considering the investment. Make sure it has a 4ms. Latency (the time it takes to generate the pixels) and try to get 40 Hz. refresh rate. Sony no longer makes Plasma TV's and that says a lot. LG and Sony use the same jointly built factory to make the LCD substrate, the rest are proprietary to the companies. This is why I prefer Sony, it is a better picture and worth the investment. If you have the room, I would get an LCD Projector and not get the LCD TV. This one is what I want to get when I save some pennies. It would alter your reality. Since I have purchased a projector,I no longer watch movies on TV. I make my own speakers and my Home Theatre system is excellent. I also have purchased from this company and they are excellent.

Sanyo PLV-Z4000 Projector (SanyoPLVZ4000)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the info, Zathros.

So one vote for high-end LED LCD TVs.

When I win the lottery I'll let you know.

Terry
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Edited my blathering

Last edited by Zathros; 12-09-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Google Adsense