PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Question Commissioned work -- how much to charge?

Hi,

I just got an email from a flight training school. They're asking me if I were willing to create a cardboard model of a 747 for them, and are willing to pay.

I might consider it....but the thing is, I've no idea how much to charge for it if ever.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

So far, I've not yet asked about the parameters (scale, level of detail, timeline, etc.)

Cheers!

Eric
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
What is your hr rate? Bases your price on that. freelances artists/designers most charge by difficulty, time spent on producing the design, and how many different designs company want the artist to come up with for them to pick one final version. More then half the time, companies will already have a budget, and that's all they can/allow to paid for design stuff. Did you asked them what's is their budget for the project? Also the how big is the company stature. What the usage for, logo, free promo, to sell, etc. The bigger the company, like large corporation. You could charge few thousand dollars price range for your design. Small company, not so much, like hundred to few hundreds dollars. That's for company logo, brochures and business card stuff like that. I never, and don't know any friends done any paper model for a client before. But, whatever you quoted them. You as a artist/designer. If the work turned out to be more difficult/longer time spent. You have to live with it. Can't go back and ask for more payment later. One just don't do that. Next time ask for more. Last thing, invoice. Get it on paper for job for hire. Usually, company will have all that paper wok ready for you to sign, and they have up to 30 days to paid you in full. Hope that help.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Woah... that's a lot.
I never thought it can go that high.
I'll check back with them with the work parameters.

One thing though, this is only a hobby for me and I can only devote extra time for this. I guess the timeline will be my biggest problem.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Difficult one. If I am building an existing kit, I charge the price of another kit.

Tim
Old 12-13-2010, 03:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Just hope they don't spot the Canon 747 and decide to do it themselves

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piginapoke View Post
Just hope they don't spot the Canon 747 and decide to do it themselves
Heyyy!! Cool!
I forgot about the canon site when I tried to search for existing 747 models.

Actually, I'm neck deep in work (Q4 rush at the office) that I'm not certain I can do the job they're asking for. I'll probably suggest the canon model if I can't do it myself. (But that's assuming they're okay with BA liveries. )
Old 12-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Try axm space paper models, they have an American airlines skin from the days when an AA 747 was used to ferry the shuttle. Not sure how big a job it is to use the skin.

Good luck

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Maybe you can find out how much Fiddlers Green is paying for a design, Chip Fynn and Murphya are members here
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thumbs down Everybody Wants Something for Nothing....

Eric: I ran into the same situation some years ago, when I first began free-lance (commission) carving and teaching.

You first need to establish an hourly rate for your specialized time, which is hard to do. In the Canadian city (Winnipeg), where I started out, the tool company that I represented (and still do) as a demonstrator, and the adult education institutions which invited me to teach were willing to pay me the equivalent of $CDN 20.00 per hour, simply for my labour. So, I used that as a starting point.

Secondly, you need to learn how to break a project down into "billable hours" and to be able to provide a written estimate to the client. I define "billable hours" as all time spent in researching,acquiring supplies for, and actually spent working on your client's project. Be reasonable. If you over-estimate, you will lose the sale. If you under-estimate, you will "eat" the overrun. Get a cheap wind-up timer and a log book.

Thirdly, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. NO EXCEPTIONS!! I provide my clients with a written estimate, and insist upon a signed, paper contract before I do much more than ponder the project. I also request that the client provide me with a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of approx. 30-40% upon signature of the contract.

If you would like to PM me, I can send you sample PDFs of the documents that I use in my business.

In closing: Two points: 1 ONLY GIVE YOUR STUFF AWAY IF YOU WANT TO.
2. DO NOT DO COMMERCIAL WORK FOR NOTHING!

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Jim
Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
fish has it right, as a "contractor", but it will be worth-while to explore your options... what it is worth to them? dither if you have to. few "commisions" are worth the trouble unless it falls into your master plan of design.... design models and try not to lose focus on whatever you wish to distribute... there is a grey area.

Last edited by nebeltex; 12-13-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: addition
Google Adsense