PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Papermodel Theater Exhibits in the News

Don't know if we have many fans of the paper theater tradition (the 19C version of video games, which were wildly popular in their day.), but just in case, this morning's NY Times mentions no less than two exhibits of Victorian Toy Paper Theaters. One is at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich Connecticut, titled "A child's view: 19th century paper theaters" (link: A Child’s View: 19th-Century Paper Theaters - Exhibitions - Bruce Museum). The other is "Making the Toy Theater", at the Cotsen Children"s Library at Princeton University. Apparently they have a big collection, never before put on display. (Link: currently on exhibit).

I would note that tatebanko are the Japanese version of this tradition - at least the ones that are depictions of Kabuki. The paper theater world seems to be utterly unaware of that connection.

Cheers,
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Thanks for the link Papermodelfan !

The model are all "Facsimile". I think that mean that the original were scanned and printed, no ?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Illustrated Family Journal (apperently published in many countries) printed I believe several series of articles and by collecting the pages one could assemble a theatre like one of the theatrees the Bruce museum page exhibits on their pages. If someone wants to give a try with similar one dating 1924 (published in Denmark) here's a link to all scans of that series. Paper toy theathres a a joy.
Attached Thumbnails
Papermodel Theater Exhibits in the News-ill-fam-jour.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I did not realize how popular paper theaters were, nor was I aware that booklets of plays and operas were published for use with them! The model theaters were visually striking, and quite elaborate.

It must have been great fun to be able to stage a full-on play in the family parlor, with multiple costumed characters and scenery ... all in miniature, illuminated by candlelight.

Sounds like they were more than just children's toys, look at the complexity! This was pretty serious entertainment:
Quote:
"The relative sophistication of the visual and theatrical elements of paper theaters makes it puzzling as a child’s plaything. Most paper theaters were complete with a stage front or proscenium, scenery, actors, and a small printed booklet with the dialogue, the scene setting for each act, and directions for the movements of the figures. These toys were challenging for young people, yet their popularity must have been widespread, given the large number of printers and publishers engaged in their manufacture.
The technology employed may not be much by today's standards, yet I cannot help but think that staging a family play - or opera (with accompaniment on the parlor piano)! - must have been a much richer form of entertainment than sitting silently together in front of a big-screen tv.

Thank you for those fascinating links, Rob and Tapcho!
Attached Thumbnails
Papermodel Theater Exhibits in the News-19c-paper-theater.jpg  

Last edited by Art Deco; 12-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Today I build one of the theaters of the Illustrated Family Journal.

This the same build, but the picture is taken with different lights (cold and warm...).
Attached Thumbnails
Papermodel Theater Exhibits in the News-img_4935bis.jpg   Papermodel Theater Exhibits in the News-img_4942bis.jpg  
Google Adsense