PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
A Nice Surprise

Sunday afternoon, I stopped by a nearby store to pick up a few things and noticed the May 2008 issue of Air & Space magazine from the Smithsonian on sale. The cover has a photo of heavy metal, mainly the Bone, on it and I immediately grabbed the magazine and headed to checkout.

When I got home I was thumbing through the pages and found a nice surprise inside. On page 13, there is an interview with Col. Dick Anderegg (ret), currently Director, Air Force History and Museum Policies and Programs. Colonel Anderegg was the vice commander of the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing during my time in The Philippines, and after the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo, because the wing commander.

I have a lot of respect for "Lucky" (his call sign at Clark). One reason I was asked to remain at Clark during eruption phase of operations was I had previous experience with erupting volcanoes and Air Force operations, having gone through the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980. Shortly after Pinatubo blew its top, Colonel Anderegg sat down next to me and asked me if I knew anything about helicopter operations in a volcanic ash environment. I told him I didn't know exactly what to do, but knew a U.S. Army Reserve unit had flown Hueys in the aftermath of St. Helens. I told him everything I could remember. He thanked me and walked off.

The next day, he came over to me and said, "You may have earned your stay here. We got all the information we needed on operating our birds in this stuff, all thanks to you." I told him I was glad I could help, and went about my tasks.

Seeing someone I respect get deserved recognition is great. Colonel Anderegg also authored the book, "The Ash Warriors" (the nickname for the troops at Clark following the eruption). It gives a good insight into the military thought process when confronted with an unknown problem such as an erupting volcano on the doorstep.

Although Colonel Anderegg wasn't able to get any input from me for the book, I am listed in the Ash Warrior pages of fame in the back of the book.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's always great to come across a reference to someone or something from your past. This is a great little story, Ash, and I'm glad you shared it with us.

Don
Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Great story, is that how you got your call name Ashrunner?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Ted

When I first started in the online world, I wanted to "Ash Warrior." However, there were too many letters for the AOL login thing and I sat thinking about what else I could call myself and still stay with that theme. After thinking about the 2.5 eruptions I have been through, Ashrunner just popped into the head and thus...a legend was born. 8v)

Dick Anderegg was a great terrific person to work with. One thing I forgot to add to my original post was the complete interview with him at the Air & Space website...it can be found here.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Another nice surprise

If you happen to be building Skyline Models' Grumman Guardian, pick up the June 2008 issue of FLIGHT JOURNAL magazine. It has a nice article on the Guardian hunter-killers, along with a lot of other good stuff.

No worries,
--David

P.S.: Anyone know where Skyline Models has gone? They offered some great kits. Lately, their site is lost somewhere in the Chronosynclastic Infindibulum.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
David,

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...4676#post14676
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo