PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
My word what just happened pepakura designer a virus according to my anti virus?

my Pay version of AVG just moved pepakura designer to the virus vault in a scan. I wonder has anyone else found this with their new AVG updates that it thinks a few of these open source free versions software is a virus so far since the turn of the year the AVG of mine has moved some part of Inkscape, Google sketchup, gimp and now pepakura designer to the virus vault. it is not moving all of the software it seems since they work as best i can see but it sure is moving some part of them to the virus vault.
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
A lot of people swear by AVG, and yet I have had this problem in the past.

About two years ago I had the same problem with Avast Antivirus, when it killed some components of my Graphics programs.
This occurred right after a large program update.

I now use Avira (still on the free version, but considering the premium upgrade) and have had no trouble with programs yet...almost 2 years now!
But I have tested the scanning capabilities aginst others and it performs flawlessly.

Definitons for viruses change so frequently and drastically, its hard to make sure that all program compatibility is still intact.
Sometimes a definition update can conflict with a program components.

In Avira, I have the option when a "virus" is found to remove, delete, ignore, quarantine, etc...and I can also do this temporarily or permanently.
If I quarantine an item, I can go back in later and release the item with an ignore command, and restore that item (with instructions not to delete it again)

Does AVG have this type of actions?...look into that.

Some folks swear by the biggest baddest AntiVirus program.
Me?...I have basic AV software, and a big Firewall!
I also recommend Anti-Malware software as a more important purchase than over-blown antivirus programs.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

Norton 360. You will never look back. Unless you have some kind of antiquated wind up computer. Norton 360 is the best. It offers so much. I have cleaned out others peoples hard drives with it. I build computer. I fix them. Forget about MacAfee, which I can get for frr from my wife work for all 3 of my computers. Norton 360 is allowed to use on up to 3 computers, even has free online back up. I have tried all others. AVG days have come and gone. Norton's Heuristic monitoring of your computer cannot be beat and their customer support is excellent. If you really get into trouble, they will remotely take over your computer and fix it. This happened when my "she who must be obeyed" loaded a CD from a friend. This in itself cannot even happen any more, that was 5 years ago. It only cost me around $50 bucks every two years to renew my account, and they upgrade it to the latest version, "automagically".
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 126.00 MB
Send a message via MSN to n810 Send a message via Skype™ to n810
I love my Norton as well too. If you happen to have comcast as your internet provider you get it free
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeahs Rogers and Yahoo used to give Norton free,
until they realized all of the problems it caused and
how badly it interfered with everybodys PCs and Internet activity! lol
They couldn't dump it fast enough!

I tried Norton after that, since I already had stuff on my system,
but its kinda like the complaints I hear about Adobe.
"overblown" "too large" "uses too much processor power" "takes control of your system"
and I have seen Norton fail tests that other lesser AV programs have passed.

Can ya tell I'm a Norton hater? haha
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I used to run Norton, but my computer repair guy "recommended" (he actually insisted) I use Threatfire instead....seeing as how the problems my computer was having was due to some malware that Norton let pass through. I haven't had any problems since installing the combo of Threatfire and Anti-malware.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Best anti malware program out there, has to be MalwareBytes.
Free program does the best scan and find ....and KILL...of all malware problems.

Its also a good investment to buy the premium upgrade
which allows the program to run constantly in the background
providing real-time protection for surfing, etc.

but at the very least, just install the free program
and do a scan once or week, or whenever you think you have a problem.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Turn off pdfs opening in browswer. That helps.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Norton 360 is the best package out there. AVG days have come and gone. Norton is so far ahead of these outfits. People are referring to tests from 5 years ago. Some people just use Norton Internet Security. I am not recomending that. What you want is Norton 360. 360 degrees of protection and the best support if you do get into trouble. If you purposefully put a virus into your computer by downloading a file that you are warned about, nothing will help you.

Being a Norton hater means nothing. You are just blinding yourself to facts. Anybody who would pay for AVG is throwing their money away. A lot also depends on what your ISP provider lets through. I use AT&T and a lot of stuff doesn't even making onto my web based account. If Norton screws up, I will be the first one to pound it. My preferences are based on experience and how the product works.

As far as Norton failing tests, most of the tests I have seen have to do with length of time of a scan. Again, if you have a low powered computer, then maybe Norton isn't for you. I don't have that problem. Norton 360, over the3 pat 2 years has become an all in one package that you can install and forget about.

It is also really easy to scan individual files, flash memory, usb hard drives. I have obtained programs that had viruses that Norton cleaned up and left me with a clean, functioning program. There is no program available that singularly does everything that Norton 360 does. If you want to have 6 to 8 programs fighting over who is going to knock out that virus, it will be too late. If you are one of those people who runs multiple anti-virus programs, then your computer is probably infected.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
I agree with Zathros. I run Norton 360 because this year it has surpassed many other similar applications on the list of Top 10 Best Virus platforms. Mcafee slipped all the way out the list while Norton is now 4th. The retail version of AVG that costs $35 ranks 6th on the list while the free version doesnt even rank on the list at all and I believe that you have a false sense of security of you are running the free version of it. I challenge anyone who does so to run a scan with Malwarebytes as well as SuperAntiSpyware, which are ranked 6th and 7th respectively for spyware applications because you might be mildly surprised to see all that you are probably going to find. Norton has come along way since the resource issue days and false positives, but lets not forget that Mcafee has had its share of issues as well and this is why it no longer even makes the top 10.

The review has this to say about the retail version of AVG: "AVG’s scanning engine is effective, but not the fastest. The software also overprotects at times, causing false positives."

You don't say...
Google Adsense