PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: What quality of build do you aspire to?
Perfect to original subject 8 17.02%
Perfect to kit 20 42.55%
'Arm's Length' 19 40.43%
It has 4 wheels - must be a car! 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Target a perfect reproduction of the original ............. reality stand off scale is nearer.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
After I finish a model, I would prefer it be something only the Hubble Space Telescope could image. As for quality before I begin, as long as it looks like what it is suppose to be, with or without intense detail, I am happy.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Me, I am my own worst critic. So, if it looks good to me, it's good.

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM

I voted "Arm's Length" which translates to "Best I can do". I'd love for them to be perfect, but who am I trying to kid???
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I compete in the plastic categories at IPMS conventions both local and regional needless to say I push my skills to the limit. Perhaps I take this hobby too seriously but the fun for me is to improve the model by adding detail and correcting errors.

Jim Nunn
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
I compete in the plastic categories at IPMS conventions both local and regional needless to say I push my skills to the limit. Perhaps I take this hobby too seriously but the fun for me is to improve the model by adding detail and correcting errors.

Jim Nunn
As long as you enjoy yourself, that's the important part regardless of skill level
Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 AM

It depends on the model!
On my 1/72 tanks, I like to add the details, paint the edges etc. (at that scale it usually doesn't require a lot of extra work anyway!) Also a lot of errors that are visible to the digital camera are hidden to the naked eye.
However, most of my other models, I would just like to get a result that gives a good impression of the original subject matter. Fiddlers Green aircraft, seem to do this well.

Slightly OT: I also enjoy both the simple build threads and the complex super detailed build threads. Back when I first got into cardmodels, it was a little disappointing when scouring the net, to find plenty of Halsinki build threads (and other complicated models - battleships, etc.) but no build threads of simple kits to encourage the new modeller.

Because of this, it took me ages to feel confident enough to make a contribution on any of the sites. I needed to feel I had reached a certain "standard".
I should also state that I think this community has gone a long way to making this less of an issue. However, we could have more "simple" build threads that show how good a less complex model can be!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunGamer View Post
Slightly OT: I also enjoy both the simple build threads and the complex super detailed build threads. Back when I first got into cardmodels, it was a little disappointing when scouring the net, to find plenty of Halsinki build threads (and other complicated models - battleships, etc.) but no build threads of simple kits to encourage the new modeller.

Because of this, it took me ages to feel confident enough to make a contribution on any of the sites. I needed to feel I had reached a certain "standard".
I should also state that I think this community has gone a long way to making this less of an issue. However, we could have more "simple" build threads that show how good a less complex model can be!
Yeah this forum does that pretty well. I was sort of embarassed of my models, but I posted them anyway! I guess the fact that everybody seems like friends and that it's a relatively small place make it happen.
Before I said that I never saw cardmodels.net, but it turns out I did - it was in my favourites/bookmarks. I just never joined or posted, and left very quickly.

I intend to make a build thread of everything! This includes some easier models, though they're probably not super new beginner material.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM

I tried to do a build thread of an intermediate model back on the other forum, for exactly the same reason Shaun mentioned - to have something to inspire rather than intimidate a beginner. <sigh> didn't work out that way unfortunately. The model wasn't completely unbuildable, but it took some doing to make it presentable.

I might have to try that again if I can find a suitable kit.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
This gives me an excuse to show my latest simple build. While working on the F-105, I decided to take a quick break from it and build something I could finish quickly, FG's F-19 "Stealth Fighter". Well, maybe not 100% finished, but I frequently skip the landing gear on older FG stuff anyway. Not the best thing I've ever built, but I like it.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Model quality 'target'-f-19-2.jpg  
Google Adsense