PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Maly Modelarz Printing Problems?

Just wanted to check with all of you fine folk to see if I got a dud kit, or if I've been duped.

I just got a maly modelarz F-14 (# 7-8-9/ 2004) from ebay. Seller stated it was new, untouched. Which, from the looks of it, it is. I had to pop open some perferations in a few pages to see the parts. That seemed odd to me, and led to a horrific discovery.

Of the 18 pages of parts in the book, 9 pages (that I can tell) are printed wrong. It seems as though the paper was off by about a centimeter at least when it was printed. Many parts are cut o ff or missing. One page has a few part numbers with no parts connected to them.

The pages that had to be opened are also smaller in height than the other pages. With the exception of one full size page, it's all of the "short" pages that are off in printing/ cutting.

I guess what i'm asking is, is this a Maly printing mess up, or did I get duped by the ebay seller?
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Probably both...it's not hard to check that of of the 18 pages in a book are the same size...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

I know right? The thing is, I can tell that the printing on the pages is genuine. It's high quality (for Maly anyway). The cover is also clearly original. There's no extra staple wholes anywhere.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I have some Maly Modelarz with bad printing but none that bad and they are much older models. Some of them have four pages printed on one large sheet that needs to be unfolded a separated.
It would not hurt to contact the seller about the problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm going to later tonight. it concerns me as I am currently the leading bidder on another of his Maly models (the Sea King from 10-11-12/ 2008).
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'd let him know. He may not be a builder and only sell that kind of thing. He could possibly not know anything about bad print runs or recognizing such. To him a book is a book if it's in perfect condition.

It would be like selling a book that is in mint condition but has grammar and spelling mistakes.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I've had Maly kits with pages stuck together and the color offset from the outlines by as much as 5mm. Not sure if what you describe falls into the realm of possibility but stuff does happen. The worst one I had was from 1998 though, haven't had many problems and I own most Maly kits from the mid-90's onwards.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Gharbad,
The printing of the images themselves is spot on. The parts look great. It's the fact that 9 of the pages are shifted. It's as if when they put the book together, they didn't stack the pages straight, and they cut off the bottom cm of the pages. You would think they would notice that, as it's noticeable the second you look at the booklet.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Well like I said stuff does happen, it could still be legit.
I've actually had a paperback novel where one portion of the text wasn't put together properly. The pages weren't cut apart along the bottom corner and that whole segment of pages was misaligned.

I'd compare the paper and printing quality itself with other Maly kits you own. They're pretty similar if you don't go too far away in time.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
if we are talking about debica, I doubt very much that you were duped by the seller.
I have bought models from debica
and know of others who have done the same.
debica's sales record is untarnished, his seller rating is 100%

you have either a Maly error, or a problem that debica was not aware of.
Google Adsense