PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Paper geek

So apparently now I've become a paper geek. We have a new problem solving sheet / method at work. They call it the A3 method. This is supposed to be based on the type of paper used - a large sheet so you can fit most of the information on one page. I had to point out that we are technically using 11x17 paper, meaning it's not really A3. Yes - it's only one of many ways I'm a geek, and I'm ok with it
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
So apparently now I've become a paper geek. We have a new problem solving sheet / method at work. They call it the A3 method. This is supposed to be based on the type of paper used - a large sheet so you can fit most of the information on one page. I had to point out that we are technically using 11x17 paper, meaning it's not really A3. Yes - it's only one of many ways I'm a geek, and I'm ok with it
It sounds cool to incorporate some geekness to our real life

11X17?
That's Double Letter size, isn't it? also called "tabloid".

The place where I print in laser offers that size, and everytime I go there I try to fit as many things in one single 11X17 page to reduce printing costs. I've gone as far as fitting all the parts of 4 regular A4 pages in one single 11X17 (what I did with Gary Pilsworth's Folland Gnat).

Of course I do it "by hand".

How is that method/process you use in your work?
Is it something similar to how some software arranges parts on large wood sheets?
Or am I completely misunderstanding you? hehehe

Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Dan,
"A3" sounds much more technical than "tabloid" or "ledger" method
And remember that US is trying to convert to Standard system again...
This leads to some funny names (A3 method) or annoying procedures - few weeks ago my son (4th grade) had to do a sience project. He is a soccer nut so he decided to measure how the distance of the throw-in is related to the weight of the ball. All results supposed to me in meters - problem is that here the only measuring wheels or tapes are in feet...
So we measured everything in feet and then had to recalculate results into meters.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yeah, it is always fun to walk into a store and ask for A4 or A3 size paper. "What is it? What's it used for?" or a blank confused look and a quick "We don't have that."

GreMir, all of the 100'+ tape measures I have are marked in metric units on one side. I even have some smaller ones that clip on my belt or fit in my pocket that have both standard and metric on one side. If there is a Harbor Freight store near you can get some for cheap. If not check out any home improvement store. Stanley has a line of tape measures that include metric scales.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Thanks for the info. I have two measuring tapes (25') and both are feet only. I was not aware that there are dual ones. Same for the measuring wheel...
Google Adsense