PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
A happy day! Lost but now found!

I had thought that these were out of production but now I discover that Usborne is still printing them. Happy Day!

I have some already and a couple of doubles, but I've always wanted to "collect" them all

Cut out models at Usborne Childern's books.

The Viking village and Roman amphitheatre are new to me, I didn't even know they existed!
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.96 MB
I took my students to the British museum and in the courtyard gift shop I found 6 of these cutout books from Usborne. Snapped em up on the spot since it's been about 15 years since I saw paper-models for sale anywhere outside the internet. Happy days I hope more of the old publishers start reprinting these treasures.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Bookmarked!

Nice find. Thanks for posting.

+Gil
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to hear that these are still available.

Don
Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Noticed a "Crusader Castle" (Krak des Chevaliers) in a local bookstore 20 years ago, but thought it was one of the Dover books. Are these Usborne books Dover reprints -- or could there have been some corprate reorganization that led to the new name? Or is Usborne a competitor that did its own model of the same castle?

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I think the first paper model I ever built was an Usborne. it was a model of Abraham Lincoln's house in Springfield, Il. I had been there for summer vacation, and then found a model of the house. I think I used it for a class project or presentation.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Hello, Yale!
No, they are two different firms. Dover Press was founded in 1941 in the U.S.A., whereas Usborne was founded in 1974 in the U.K. - They have different programs and designers. The designer for most of the Dover Press cut-outs is A. G. Smith, whereas the designer/editor for most of the Usborne kits is Iain Ashman.
When in doubt you could check the informations at the homepage of the AGK, i.e. the Research Group for the History of Papermodeling (www.kartonmodellbau.org - there's an english version as well).
Kind regards -
Papercaptain
Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercaptain View Post
Hello, Yale!
No, they are two different firms. Dover Press was founded in 1941 in the U.S.A., whereas Usborne was founded in 1974 in the U.K. - They have different programs and designers. The designer for most of the Dover Press cut-outs is A. G. Smith, whereas the designer/editor for most of the Usborne kits is Iain Ashman.
When in doubt you could check the informations at the homepage of the AGK, i.e. the Research Group for the History of Papermodeling (www.kartonmodellbau.org - there's an english version as well).
Kind regards -
Papercaptain
Cool! That means that comparative builds of the two Krak des Chevaliers models could be a nice project for some ambitious member of this forum.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Unfortunately, there's only the Usborne kit available any more. The Dover model has been out of print for some time. Nevertheless, they are pretty much comparable, both in size and design:
Dover Publishing Inc. Cut & assemble a Crusader Castle in full color; the Krak des Chevaliers in Syria, by A. G. Smith. Scale 1/400, 16 sheets 31 x 24 cm, 145 parts, dimensions L 55 x B 36 x H 11 cm.
Usborne Publishing Ltd. Make this model Crusader Castle, by Iain Ashman. Scale ~ 1/400? 32 pages 30.5 x 22.9 cm, ~130 parts, dimensions L 59 x B 45 x H 11 cm. ISBN 9781409505921.
Kind regards -
Papercaptain