PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Mouse problem

I am one of those people who has never purchased a "ready made" computer. For all the features that I want, it still is cheaper to build one for myself.

I though my trust old computer was dying, built a new one. I went through the old one, cloned the hard drive, went from IDE to SATA, put in an new power supply, (someone through away a computer at our local transfer station with a brand new 750W power supply in it. I also grabbed the ATI 512M High End graphic card in it. All to no avail. The computer would still just freeze, the right monitor would go black, the the Blue Screen of Death". I took the MoBo out, re-soldered some bad connections, same problem. The thing is that while it is working, it works flawlessly. Well, a couple of days ago it froze, this time, I (for some reason I still don't know) unplugged the Mouse (only a year old), plugged it back in, all is fine, everything works, no shut down. This mouse required a driver as it had many programmable buttons. After I plugged it back in, it reverted to the standard Microsoft driver. I have sapped the mouse from my new computer and the machine has not frozen or done anything else for a week now. I purchased a 5 button programmable Microsoft Mouse for my new computer.

It was the Mouse. The System Event viewer would show a DCOM failure but could not point to what was timing out. Now I know. This mouse was made by MicroInnovations . I would never purchase another product from this company. Not because of this one incident but because once they no longer manufacture a product, it becomes impossible to find the driver for it. They offer no legacy support. For a year year old Mouse, I would hardly call that legacy support.

So, by this mouse dying, I switched the main hard drive from an IDE 260G, to a SATA 1.5T($169), switched Power supplies from a 560 Watt to a 750 Watt (Free), went from ATI X800 256 AGP Pro, to an ATI HD 3800 512Mb Series (Free), (the old computer already had a 1 Terabyte back up drive), swapped Mice, new one was $26.99) and now, I have 2 very functional computers. (Actually I have more than 2 computers but these two are the only ones that can run Rhino, the Internet and Adobe PhotoShop, at the same time without having a seizure.

All is well that ends well.
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Like you say...symmetry...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Driver for a mouse? They still use those?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Driver for a mouse? They still use those?
Generic types don't, but programmable ones do - i can't remember the last time i had a mouse with a driver disk either, most drivers for almost all devices are covered by the O/S these days. Remember the good old OAK driver for MS-DOS ? that little fella would run anything
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

I had to download a driver for the 5 button Microsoft Mouse I just purchased for Windows 7 Pro !! Anything more than 3 buttons will require a driver.
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Most mouse drivers took so much of the 640kb that I could rarely manage to have the mouse going.
Eventually I found cutemouse which is an amazing low memory driver but it was long after I stopped using DOS regularly.

All mice need a driver it's just that an OS comes with a bunch of drivers for a long time now so you don't need to worry about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I had to download a driver for the 5 button Microsoft Mouse I just purchased for Windows 7 Pro !! Anything more than 3 buttons will require a driver.
That's right, it has to have it's own configuration utility too. I use a Logitech pad with thumb ball, it has 3 programmable buttons and the Ball - had this one for MANY years, and touch wood, never a problem with it. Glad you got the bug sorted out, i was starting to think that it was a IRQ setting gone bad for you, but this evidently wasn't the case - Nice machine you have {same Video here} awesome Gfx and colour is very stable.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
That's right, it has to have it's own configuration utility too. I use a Logitech pad with thumb ball, it has 3 programmable buttons and the Ball - had this one for MANY years, and touch wood, never a problem with it. Glad you got the bug sorted out, i was starting to think that it was a IRQ setting gone bad for you, but this evidently wasn't the case - Nice machine you have {same Video here} awesome Gfx and colour is very stable.
My new machine is a Quad Core AMD 9550, MSI 870 G45 MoBo, 4G's of Ram, 2Terabyte SATA, slaved 500G, 750 Watt PSU, XFX 1G ATI Video, Win 7 64 Pro. This machine smokes!! (Figuratively!!)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
My new machine is a Quad Core AMD 9550, MSI 870 G45 MoBo, 4G's of Ram, 2Terabyte SATA, slaved 500G, 750 Watt PSU, XFX 1G ATI Video, Win 7 64 Pro. This machine smokes!! (Figuratively!!)
In terms my dear friend - this is the dogs b******s..... you sir are cooking with gas
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

My wife keeps asking me why did I build a new machine if I thought the old one was going to die. I told her I wasn't sure at the time and it still could die. I built the new one as back up. Oh well. I left the dual 23" Acer LCD's on the old machine. Now she wants to buy a new monitor for the new machine, but I have a really nice ViewSonic 24" CRT that, to be honest, I really like for doing CAD.
Google Adsense