PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I had to get a hobby.

During a recent visit to the VA hospital my doctor recomended that i get a hobby, i just about burst out laughing....i told him i have one, model building. He thought it would help getting some of my dexterity back and possibly help with "PTSD". I have been trying to actually finish one but just can't seem to get all the way through it....but i'm still trying...sorry i know this is one long run on but also was kind of funny.
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Yes, starting is easy, finishing not so much. I start models hot and heavy, then begin to slow down about halfway through. That's about the time I start thinking about what's next. When I do get around to finishing one though, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 PM

I get into building them, then i just put them up and don't get back to them, i think i've only completed two FG models so far. I'm trying to stay motivated, but i can't seem to concentrate long enough to finish....docs say it's from too many tbi's........but i will accomplish at least one good one this month, that is my goal.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM

It's good to have goals. Post a pic of your completed model if you can.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Making build threads is what brought me back around to finishing some models, before that I hadn't finished one for years.
Since then I've been busy with work and life and mostly stopped building even with threads going...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 PM

Location: Central Wisconsin - literally in the middle of the state.
Total Downloaded: 18.40 MB
A lot of times, I will build a model to a certain point where I think I have achieved the purpose I had in starting it, such as super-detailing some part of the kit (especially with plastic kits and brass and resin accessories). I then put it on the shelf and look for another kit with some process or procedure that grabs my interest to try that I may not have done before. Don't feel bad about not finishing a particular model, it is the combination of working on several projects that have particular challenges that make me feel like I have accomplished as much as completing one model alone. Enjoy the build! Thank you for your service!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Josh,

First...thank you for your service!

Secondly, see if you can find other paper modelers. Maybe co-build a model or at least show off to each other. I've found that can do wonders for your drive and enthusiasm. At minimum, see if you can get around to posting photos here on the PM forums and show us what you are building!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Josh,

Hang in there, working a hobby like making models is a great way to do those things the doc was talking about - it's a form of both mental and physical therapy.

Like Gharbad said, making a build thread might be useful to help with motivation. Whatever you do, enjoy it, push yourself a bit further each time, but always remember to enjoy it.

Good luck, and thank you for your service!

Doug
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Hi josh,

You are not alone with your t.b.i. condition, there are several of us here who had that diagnosis as well as p.t.s.d., bipolar disorder, a.d.h.d. and just plain c.r.s. disease (can't remember sh*t). We have all been able to work through these difficulties and I'm sure you will too.

If you have any questions regarding assembly of a particular model or building techniques feel free to ask. Most of us are glad to help.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Josh - laughter is good (as is building paper models). I wouldn't worry about your finish rate ... work on what interests you as long as the interest lasts. Setting a deadline (or taking commissions) just adds pressure to something that should be relaxing.
If finishing a model is a milestone for you, try a quickie from your area of interest. Just ping the forum with the type/subject of the model for a recommendation.
Yogi
Google Adsense