PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I can't load that link for some reason,
but this was the info i read earlier today:

Just to clarify...it did not crash.
An emergency was reported after take off, and the aircraft made an emergency landing in a cornfield.
After the plane was evacuated, a fire engulfed the aircraft causing the loss.

This B-17 was an original WW2 (1943) produced aircraft, but it never saw combat.
It was purchased after the War by a preservation group and painted to match the Liberty Belle of the 390th.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I hear it in the radio this morning. That's just too bad. Guess that it is not true of what people said. B-17 can't really fly with one engine on fire in real life. And I guess all the other flyable B-17 value just gone that much more.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Let's hope she can rise from the ashes.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
I hear it in the radio this morning. That's just too bad. Guess that it is not true of what people said. B-17 can't really fly with one engine on fire in real life. And I guess all the other flyable B-17 value just gone that much more.

Actually, to be honest, the plane flew fine, and landed fine. The fire was in the cockpit. The Pilot make an excellent landing, all crew and plot dismounted, no one was hurt. The plane burned on the tarmac. It was not an engine problem. B-17's can fly with incredible amounts of damage, but a fire in the cockpit is a problem that will bring down the best of planes. That being said, I would hope that this planes are put in the air with new wiring, new connections, new avionics, or they are accidents waiting to happen. Restoration is fine, but the major systems must be brought up to modern standards, that, to me, includes every single switch.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Actually, to be honest, the plane flew fine, and landed fine. The fire was in the cockpit. The Pilot make an excellent landing, all crew and plot dismounted, no one was hurt. The plane burned on the tarmac. It was not an engine problem. B-17's can fly with incredible amounts of damage, but a fire in the cockpit is a problem that will bring down the best of planes. That being said, I would hope that this planes are put in the air with new wiring, new connections, new avionics, or they are accidents waiting to happen. Restoration is fine, but the major systems must be brought up to modern standards, that, to me, includes every single switch.
The fire was in the left wing, behind engine #2. Yes it flew fine but it was only a matter of time before something blew, and they made the right call to get it on the ground ASAP. If the fields had not been muddy, the fire crews might have been able to get to it in time. As it was, most of the fire trucks could not traverse the field from what we're hearing. Check this link for some of the most pertinent photos: Images: World War II B-17 crash in Oswego - DailyHerald.com

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Though this particular B-17 didn’t see combat it did have a rather interesting career. She was one of two B-17s (I believe they were called Boeing 299Zs) modified to be a test bed for turbo prop engines. They moved the cockpit back about four feet to accommodate the various engines fitted. I’ve seen photos of the plane flying with just the turbo prop in the nose. All four of the Cyclones were shut down and feathered. I was planning to include a couple of these fifth engine test beds in my B-17 models. I’ll certainly have to do it now.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
It certainly is sad to know that this relic had such a bad end :(

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Another survivor lost - B17 crash lands in Oswego, IL

WWII B-17 makes emergency landing outside Chicago - Yahoo! News

WWII B-17 makes emergency landing outside Chicago

Mon Jun 13, 9:18 pm ET

OSWEGO, Ill. – A World War II bomber made what appeared to be an emergency landing in a cornfield Monday and all seven people on board escaped before it was consumed by fire, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
"The plane departed the airport, noted an emergency and the pilot made what appears to be an emergency landing, after which the plane was consumed by fire," FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said in an email. None of the passengers were injured.
The accident happened right after the plane took off from the Aurora Municipal Airport and the plane landed in an Oswego cornfield outside Chicago, Cory said. The National Transportation Safety Board is now investigating the incident.
Jim Barry, who lives in a nearby subdivision, told the Chicago Tribune he heard a low-flying plane and looked to see it. The engine on the bomber's left wing was on fire, he said.
"Not a lot of flames, just more smoke than flames," Barry said.
The pilot reported a fire shortly after taking off, Sugar Grove Fire Chief Marty Kunkle said.
"He attempted to make a return to the airport, but couldn't make it so he put it down in a corn field," Kunkel told the Chicago Sun-Times.
Firefighters from Oswego, Sugar Grove and Plainfield responded to the scene. Fire officials said they were having difficulty getting to the aircraft because of wet fields.
The B-17 Flying Fortress was made in 1944. Authorities say it is registered to the Liberty Foundation in Miami.
An email to the Liberty Foundation from The Associated Press seeking confirmation wasn't immediately returned.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Yeah, another thread was started here if you did not see it. Really sad.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a...ed-burned.html
Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
As much as I like to see them fly or race, a lot of the older race cars and planes are getting so rare it is probably time to retire them.
Google Adsense