PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Architectural Assistance - Site Measuring

I managed to find work in my old profession as a Cad Tech.

I will be going on site and performing site measures of existing buildings. I am not used to doing this as the last few times I have done this, it was horrible. We all know that what you see on the plan is not what you get. The older the building the worse the house is out of whack. I just measured a building the other day that just doesn't make any sense. The build IS however over 100 years old.

Is there any website of information or source that I can use for tips and tricks to properly measure an existing structure?

Thank you.

-Steve
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Glad your back working in your chosen field. Have you tried a Google search for "Architectural Surveying"
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks... I am getting some hits. I will be checking this out.

I kind of gave up a lesser paying position and I am wondering if I made a mistake. The other position was directly related to what I am doing in school. Mechanical Engineering.

I have to pay bills though. =(
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

My house is very old. One part of it is probably 70 years old and the addition was done in the 1970's. I purchased a laser and already had a high quality tripod to help me get measurement points. Being able to spin it on the tripod could tell me how far off things were from plumb, and from measurements, as far as their relative squareness to each other. Which is how I found out my house was sagging in the middle last Summer. Easy fix though, just had to jack it up with 5 hydraulic hacks and pour 60, 8o lb. bags of concrete to fix the foundation and make new supports on the bottom, and around $2000 dollars worth of wood and assorted materials (not including $300 dollar laser). Kids stuff, easy stuff.