PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Psh! Don't worry, The modeler is his own worst critic!

I'm pretty sure the build looks great!

And at a smaller scale than the original too? By gosh you're becoming a micro modeler!

Now let's see them pictures
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
posted right now
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Josh,

I just saw this thread. I look forward to seeing the pics of your model. The P-80 is an interesting aircraft in history. Speaking as a vet I can understand why some might tell you this isn't a good hobby to get into as it can be frustrating at times. I tell you stick with it!

This hobby has really helped me a lot (I didn't have it as bad as some). I cannot begin to tell you the number of kits I've started and are either in the landfill or still sitting half started on a shelf. However, I have finished quite a few kits and as stated earlier, the modeler is ALWAYS their own worst critic. For me each kit is a way to take my mind off of "things" and almost go into another world that is centered on just accomplishing that next "step" in the project. By the end a completed model gives one a sense of accomplishment and confidence to overcome what troubles you. In other words it is a great way to relax as long as you don't take it to seriously.

Again, I look forward to seeing those pictures of the P-80 and your next project. There are a lot of them out there and a lot of friends on this forum to get you through it.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM

thanks sir, means alot. you pretty much hit the nail on the head, it does help me take my mind off things, i posted some pics earlier in the aviation bulid thread...check 'em out
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 PM

The great thing about paper modeling is that you CAN make mistakes and be ok to start all over again. A typical modeling medium would have you purchase another expensive kit.

Learn from mistakes and even a complete build could be rebuilt in a better way because you understand the way the model is completely layed out.
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I have got this model almost complete!....it doesn't look very good to me but the small victory of completion is at hand. I just did one thing that has hampered my build, i printed it really small.
Sometimes it's the small victories that count... And don't worry so much about how it looks to you... The models that I previously built, that I thought looked decent back then, I don't much care for now... But my view has been tainted after seeing some of the fantastic builds here. Of course those same models other people think they look great.

The idea of this hobby is 1) have fun. 2) It's a great way to take up time, and forces you to focus on one particular task... It's been previously mentioned, that there a number of us that are prior military, so just remember... You are not alone.

I'm a serious odd ball of the bunch though... I started wearing the Marine Corps Uniform when I was a Freshman in highschool, and only recently hung it up... Though I may put it back on so that I can finish to retire... The first year that I wore that uniform was in 1980. That was kind of my running joke for a number of years that I was well ahead of my time in the military because of that experience.

One of my aunts put it in perspective for me at my father's funeral this last winter... She reminded me that I started wearing uniforms when I was 7, starting off in Cub Scouts. I still wear a uniform today (Law Enforcement), so I've been wearing one type of uniform or another for nearly 40 years, and will be for at least another 10... Dang that's sobering.

Anyway, I'm off to the aviation forums to see what you have in store for us.

Cheers.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I certainly wish I could complete a model without mistakes. Mistakes happen. Many can be fixed. As long as they aren't extremely major, they usually don't matter much. I made a ton of mistakes (Some very minor, others pretty bad) on my 1/24 space shuttle model, but it still made the last POTW and this morning I had an astronomy group in the United Arab Emirates ask me about it as they want one of their own.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Josh;The great thing about this hobby is if you do mess up just print one more and go at it once more (or twice or three or ten or well you get it!) and I find myself seeing just the flaws in my work, my wife says" that looks great" and all i see is the panels that don't line up or the stripe thats not even or, well you get it. But its the same for her, she likes to make dolls, and i look at them and they look fantastic and she says "but the eyes aren't even or the hair is wrong. thing is we all see what others don't!
so just stay at it and I know you can DO IT......Rich
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Ok, so since I started and killed my dga p80 I've had 7 more surgeries, and bought somE printed kits , but here I go on another whirlwind adventure to complete a model, stahlharts f-18. My dr. Told me not to get my hopes up on being able to finish it, but I'm bringing it complete to show him 1 week from today....here we go.......
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
You've got this Josh, you prove that Doctor that you can do it! Let's go, go GO!
Google Adsense