PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Post Protect your DATA

In light of Airdaves Data loss - all be it through a mistake of formatting the wrong drive, i think it should be said, that we all assume most people know something about computers. I used to build and maintain computers, and i can tell you, not ALL people know the in's and out's of some of the most fundamental areas in computer technology. So, with this in mind, i thought it a good idea to get you guys and gals to be able to at least BACK UP your VALUABLE data {valuable to you} Also another assumption... we can all afford BIG drives - NOT, even though some of the big hard drives are cheapish, the money situation for a lot of us still puts them out of our reach. The cheapest and one of the most easiest ways to back-up your files would be to use a DVD burner. The .ISO extension is a Common CD or DVD disc image format based on the ISO-9660 standard; contains exact duplicate of data on a disc; used for making copies of CDs and DVDs; includes the data saved on the disc as well as the file system information, such as directory structures, file attributes, and boot code. ISO files are useful for duplicating or backing up CDs and DVDs because they copy every bit of data exactly from the disc; this is different than copying all files from a disc because the disc header information is lost in the process; an ISO file can be used to restore a disc exactly to the original version.
To use an ISO image, you need an ISO burner. Roxio or Nero will do but personally, I do not like a lot of extra programs on my computer that bog down my memory and CPU and both of those programs are resource hogs. Instead, I suggest using the software program called ISO Recorder. It integrates directly into your operating system as if it was a part of the original Microsoft build, the recourse footprint is minimal, and best of all, its free. Depending on the size of your current Hard Disk Drive, you may need several DVD's for the image to fit, but for the price of a few disks, and a few hours taken up making them, the end justify's the means - you can restore EVERYTHING for very little expense. Don't just do this when you feel like it, do it NOW... not one of us knows if our pc's will boot up the next time the button is pressed - or if hardware failure is imminent, do this as part of a regular pattern to your life and your computer. This method will spare you a lot of TEARS. So.... what you waiting for ? Go get those discs, and BACK IT UP TODAY - you know it makes sense.
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another point on the PASPORTS and DVD/CD's make 2 copies. Most all of us have backed up our data and what do we do? Stick them in the desk we are setting at. Take the second copy and store off site like your tool box or desk at work. House fires busted pipes grandkids and brain farts happen and not to the other guy but to all of us all the time. Most of us would loose untold tousands$ in things like family heirloom furniture books plastic kits and beer if we lost our homes. Don't loose the last 20 years of your digital life to a wind sheared pine tree our digital treasures can be kept in copies anywhere.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

ImgBurn, is the best burning software available. it also is FREE! (my favorite word). I fix electronics to component level. There are not many people left who do that. I belong to a forum where we discuss issues like this. The consensus for the last 5 years ( Longer I think?) is that ImgBurn is the best software available. It is updated regularly and also allows "Booktyping" of you DVD so that you can trick your player into thinking a DVD+R is actually a DVD-Rom. Why would this be important? Some players do not recognize DVD+R (DVD+R is the best way to go, incidentally), if you are burning a movie and you want to watch it in your car, many players require DVD-Rom, which is what Booktyping does. You burner must be capable of it. I always use "Lite-On" burners, they are the actual manufacturer, many other burners are re-badged Lite-Ons.

ImgBurn also creates .ISO files. It's functions are many (even telling you when you are making an error, then tells you what to do), you have to try it to find out. Money Back Guarantee! Oh wait, that's right, it's FREE!t

The Official ImgBurn Website

That being said. The following device offers an exciting alternative. The Vantec 66 in 1 Memory reader. It reads virtually all forms of Memory, including ide,sata.e-sata, mini-ide (notebooks), compact flash, SD cards, you name it. it also comes with a power supply to power these devices making them "Hot Swapable" drives. it plugs in through your USB port. You can also clone drives with this. It cost around $30 dollars, but I have seen them even cheaper.

SD Cards come up to 64G's of memory now, considering they are not much more than 1.5 inches by 1 inch and extremely thin, when the prices come down, they will probably be the best way to go, as they require no power and can last up to 100 years ( a prediction).

DVD are the best way to back up, for archival purposes, but if you are like me, you may have a dozen or so smaller 30G, 60G or 120G hard drives hanging around. You can format these drives with this device and end up with really nice storage options. They also read faster than trying to obtain information for a DVD. With ImgBurn, the Vantec 66 in 1 reader (which has made me a lot of money, incidentally) and a pile of blank DVD's, there really is no reason to ever lose valuable information. You can also scan and clean, or Format infected Hard drives with this device.

Also, if you find that you may be in the middle of Formatting a wrong drive (I am not saying this is what anyone did), SHUT OFF your computer! Even if that means unplugging it. I did this once and I was able to retrieve most of the data. Everyone who is into computers does stuff like this.

Another thing that I do, that I mentioned in another thread, was I have my computers talking to each other through my router. When I am working on CAD models, I always make a copy first, then rename that copy and start on it. Regardless, I have a copy in a "Shared Folder" so I can work on which ever computer and still access the file. If I make a mistake, I always have the original CAD model there. (at this point some may wonder where are those things that I model, well, they are not paper models, I really don't have time to do much of that). Under XP, shared folders are under Start/My Network Places. In Windows 7, you can have the shared folder on your desktop. I do not have my computers share anything more than a Folder, I do this to prevent contamination. This website shows you how to set up a Home Network:

Setting up a home network

The above steps will give you a very secure way of managing your computer(s) but will not take out the Human component. Of course, without that, why would computers be necessary? Also, there are many, many people on this forum that know far more than I do and I do not offer anything or mean to exclude anybody else's input. I offer only tried and true, pragmatic suggestions. None are theoretical.
Attached Thumbnails
Protect your DATA-vantec.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
you are correct. there are ways to back things up online. some you have to pay for. another technique is to e-mail files to your secondary addy. i did recently have a problem and thought i lost a bunch of data files. i was nearly sick too, but after suppressing the desire to puke and panic, i found the files "hidden" and then was able to recover them. databases for web sites are more problematic. i ended up getting a terrabyte drive that i back up to, BUT, i do not keep it plugged in to my computer. i only back up once a week, and then disconnect...

while it is true that some cannot afford seemingly expensive back-up drives, there are many of who can't afford NOT to.

a smart person learns from their mistakes, and a wise one learns from the mistake of others. i'm truly sorry to hear about dave's predicament and hope he can recover as much as he can.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

DVD Discs are certainly getting cheaper. I think if you try and divide pictures, and other data (I wrote pictures because some of them just can't be replaced) into 4.2 gigabyte chunks, it makes for easy DVD storage (4.7 G usually, but it is not wise to use up the whole DVD). Problem with DVD's is that cheap ones are, well, cheap. The brand the has the best record are the Taiyo Yuden. They are a manufacturer. Sony uses Taiyo Yuden, I am not sure if that is their exclusive supplier though.

DVD's for movies are actually pressed, not burnt. This is an important distinction. That is why the media quality and the quality of your DVD burner, is so important. Some early lesser brand DVD's are starting to delaminate. I'm not a great fan of on-line storage, only because if somehow, something happens, the fine print says "tough luck". Not a cloud fan, online storage providers just use hard drives and the same things can happen to them.

Of course, like mentioned above, you could do everything I mentioned, but if your house burns down, well, then what. (I do have an insulated barn with media stored, just in case, but how common is that.)
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM

It's easier/faster/cheaper to just go out and buy a second hard drive. When I bought my system, a 500 gig drive was $200 and now you can buy twice the space for half the cost. If you factor in the time it takes to back everything up onto optical media, you will be organizing and burning for days on end. The cost for optical media is not even worth it as well. A 50 DVD of reliable write once DVD media costs $30. If you buy a 1000 gig drive for $100 you will have to purchase nearly five spindles (240 Discs) to cover the contents of the same ($150).

You are better off to just buy a second drive and install it in your system and copy everything to it. Pull the drive and shelve it in an antistatic bag. Never rely on a single drive in your system because you are pretty much putting all of your eggs in one basket and subjecting that basket to daily abuse.

What I do is rotate drives in my system. I will buy another new drive, install that in my computer and reinstall my OS when I want a fresh computer. My primary drive becomes a storage drive.

The only limit is technology. For example the advent of SATA vs IDE and the new drives that are coming out which will utilize a new storage format to cram more information into each sector.

I am not sold on these pre-packaged external drives because the enclosure can fail before the drive. If it does you cannot just simply pop out the drive and put it into your computer because many manufacturers have nicely designed the drive to only work in the enclosure (from the few I have opened up anyways). If you want an external drive. Buy a regular drive and enclosure separate. When you do use them, do NOT leave them on all day, they overheat and the drive is toast.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Great info Gents, Thanks for the tips and links
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
It's easier/faster/cheaper to just go out and buy a second hard drive. ............................

I am not sold on these pre-packaged external drives because the enclosure can fail before the drive..................... When you do use them, do NOT leave them on all day, they overheat and the drive is toast.
I have to agree with you. The Vantec66-in-1 reader allows you to use any hard drive as an external drive. Since it is USB in nature, and comes with a power supply for every hard drive made, it is an easy way to rotate drives. You can use the drive, unplug it, and put it away till you need it. Essentially, it makes every storage media external, hot swappable, and usable. Pre-packaged external drives are a waste of money.

It is also a good idea under Power Management to have drives not in use, shut off. For the brief moment it takes to get them going, it's worth it.

Vantec CB-ISATACR NexStar Universal Storage Adapter - 66-in-1 Card Reader, RoHS, SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com
Attached Thumbnails
Protect your DATA-vantec-package.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
Although you guys say its a waste of money for buying an external drive, I came across a deal for 4 1TB External HD's but only 1 Power source between them (which is fine as I only use 1 of them at a time anyway) all for $150. Took them to a friend of mine who deals with computers, and he wiped them and set them up for me for a case of Miller.

I use 2 of them for Backing My papercraft, and designs, and the other 2 I use for Back-up of personal documents, and all my pictures. It's nice cause once a year one will crash, and I'll need to reformat and re-copy all the info.

less than $200 is way worth the money considering everything Im protecting, including but not limited to; Family Photos, Home Videos, Music, Music programs, Video editing programs, Papercraft downloads(free, AND bought)

Basically thousands of dollars worth of info, not counting the irreplaceable and priceless Family Photos that noone has in hard copy anymore.

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Rick View Post
Although you guys say its a waste of money for buying an external drive, I came across a deal for 4 1TB External HD's but only 1 Power source between them (which is fine as I only use 1 of them at a time anyway) all for $150. Took them to a friend of mine who deals with computers, and he wiped them and set them up for me for a case of Miller.

I use 2 of them for Backing My papercraft, and designs, and the other 2 I use for Back-up of personal documents, and all my pictures. It's nice cause once a year one will crash, and I'll need to reformat and re-copy all the info.

less than $200 is way worth the money considering everything Im protecting, including but not limited to; Family Photos, Home Videos, Music, Music programs, Video editing programs, Papercraft downloads(free, AND bought)

Basically thousands of dollars worth of info, not counting the irreplaceable and priceless Family Photos that noone has in hard copy anymore.
Waste of money is strong. I mean to point out that for $29.99, you can turn any media into an external storage device. So, any hard drive, SD card, Compact Flash Card, anytype of storage device, can be used as an external device, without paying extra. I have never lost a hard drive "once a year", that's scary. The worse I ever had lasted 4 years. You could of had to 10,000 r.p.m. 2 TB Hard drives for $150, of better quality, and if used with the Vantec, they would be hot swappable. That is a good deal, but ir really depends on the specs of the hard drives. Just being 1T's, you know they are old stock. That is not a bad thing though, as older hard drives tend to be proven and their tracks record easily found out. Also, with the data spread out, less chance of failure, but as far as preserving data, they would have to have the identical data on them. I have seen 64 G SDxc cards for as low as $90 dollars, which means they will be half that in a year. All that in a card smaller than a matchbook.
Google Adsense