PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Back to school? At forty?

With work slowing and having just turned forty I think it is time for a change in life. I am considering going back to school and then teaching history. I went to a two year tech school in my 20s and was a certified machinist but never did much with that (except some gunsmith work). Going back to school this time will mean a pretty big commitment, but I need a direction. I have been told my whole life that I would be a good history teacher, so maybe I'll quit being stubborn and conform to societies norms and get a career going. Also, so i am told, a degree may help me get my book published as well, but we shall see...
CT
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
your never too old to go back to school! good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Go for it. I was 46 when I went back to school. I went to nursing school, took the fast track LPN course. It was tough, but if I can do it , then you can too. You're never too old to learn something new. Go for it, and I wish you the best.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
I taught some adult classes.
The students in their 40's were always better than the students in their 20's.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks guys. I will be playing catch up big time, and that will mean full time classes if I want to finish in 3-4 years. Letting go of work (at least working as many hours as I have been) and committing to being a full time (read: Broke) student is a bit frightening. But the pay off should be worth it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I say DO IT!
It's never too late. I went back to school a few years ago after loosing my job at age 45 to focus on a new career path, since then I have found a new job and continue to go school part time in the evenings. At this point it looks like I'll be graduating this upcoming spring. At times it can be a bit overwhelming but you always manage to find time for everything even a little paper modeling now and then! It's a great feeling to learn something new, especially somethnig that you are really are interested in plus you are setting a great example for your kids!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Congratulations CT for having the courage and will to make such a significant change in your life. I to returned to school after 50 and obtained a masters degree and changed my carreer path. Just remember that those 3 or 4 years are going to pass wether you are in school or not. I for one enjoyed teaching high school but the real joy is in junior college where you have older students and young people who want to be in class. I am looking forward to getting a signed copy of your book. I do like signed first editions.
Joe
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Do it... i wish you the Very Best. and your kids must be Very Proud...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I start my student teaching Sept 6. I'll be teaching physics. My age? 45. Go for it! Get your degree and teach away!

Greg
Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am 40, and when I find a job I will be going back to school. There is nothing wrong with being a life long learner. I think the day I stop learning is the day I will die.
Google Adsense