PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I have had many requests to reopen this thread so I am doing so but removing everything that isnt about Barry and our memory of him. Please keep it that way. If you have any questions or concerns please direct them towards a mod or an admin.
Thanks
Chris
And rightly so Chris. Like the other guys, i am soooo pleased you re-opened this thread. Good on you, and great for our lost friend Barry {and his family}.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
excellent! cool with me too...
feel free to kill any of my off-topic posts.

how are the sales of models doing?
good?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I always got a kick out of Barry's pictures. You would see a fleet of ships stuffed all over the place. I always thought how cool it would be to hang out in those rooms and see all those models up close, and how nice it would have been to have a conversation with him about Politics, of which he was very defined of in his opinion. We shared the same view on many things, and on that level, the world lost an upright, caring, and deeply involved individual. Barry hated the economic divide that seems to be taking place everywhere. He was strong in this, and anyone who knew him knew his hatred of it. It bears being mentioned as a testament to someone who cared about the least of mankind. He truly was a thinker and acted on his thoughts, as best as he could.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This is a very respectful gesture.

The DC
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thomas,
I believe Barry was a software engineer before he retired, don't know what he did before that.
As for his CAD experience, that is relatively new.
Surprisingly, Barry didn't start using CAD for his designs until his late 60's, he had always designed and built his ships by hand from plans, and wanted a faster method of producing the hull plates. His original method was to build the hull and then trace the hull plates using pencil and paper, scan them in and then print them out.
I still have 2 of his early unfinished CAD models on my computer, from sept 2005, they aren't very good as 3D models to be honest, but they are fantastic examples of how he used his vast knowledge of ship design in a digital format. It didn't take him long to become a great modeler in CAD. You know the rest.

I'd like to post an image here, in memory of Barry, of his unfinished HMS starling 3D model, so that Thomas and others can see how Barry designed his hulls, if they didn't know already, I'm sure he would have shown anyone that had asked him.
(Sorry, i'm not going to release Barry's 3D models, they aren't mine.)
Attached Thumbnails
In Memory of Barry-barry.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Oh wow. As stated above Ron40 now Barry. I go away and come back to sad news each time. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

Cheers
Jim
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Thumbs down Thank you very much

Thank you very much Codex34,

for your answer.
For the fact that Barry started a complete new technology after his retirement, he deserves even more respect.
I didn't know that.
There are quite a few people who would dare to do so, after their retirement.
Also I would like to thank you for the fine picture of Barry's Design. It reveals the way of his way of Design.

Actually, do you know whether his Agano as well as his Gallisonieri will still be published.
(I know, I should better ask Cgutzmer personally)
It would be another lasting memory of Barry.

Just another question (please excuse).
In his profile his Date of birth is stated to be the seventh of February 1938. In the Picture of our forum his date of Birth is stated to be the seventh of March. Which date is correct?

If it would be the first case he would be an Aquarius as i am (something else to share beside cardmodeling).

Thank you very much

Thomas

In Germany we celebrate the fist advent. Since that i wish all of you a nice christmas time
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I put Feb 7 on the ecardmodels.com banner...I apologize if this is incorrect.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Hello all,
With the month done I have calculated the current memorial fund for barry to be $640. Thank you so much to everyone for the great support to the memory of our friend.
Thanks
Chris
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Hello all,
With the month done I have calculated the current memorial fund for barry to be $640. Thank you so much to everyone for the great support to the memory of our friend.
Thanks
Chris
Wow, that's quite outstanding...have you been able to contact his family to determine what they feel would be a good application of the funds to best memorize his life and legacy? Damn, I still miss bazzer so very much....

Jim
Google Adsense