PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Interesting take on 3D printing.
The print quality will get there in time.

I like this quote....
Quote:
"It's my hope that if an apocalypse happens people will be ready with Makerbots, building the things they can't buy in stores. So we're not just selling a product, we are changing the future."
Positive thinking for the future that is.... and where's he going to get the electricity from?
I'm going to wait until everyone is making makerbots, using makerbots, and the price comes down to $5.
So will they be able to make their own spools? When they get that sorted out I think it will be in alot of homes, a 'just add plastic' toy machine would be awsome.

I do like that 70's look of the makerbot, needs a paper model version.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
What exactly (if anything) is being envisioned for these to useful in the home?
Wow, I've long ago lost track of the number of items I've had to junk/trash because I couldn't get one itty-bitty plastic part (switch, knob, catch, latch, etc). It kills me to eventually have to dispose of something I KNOW should be repaired and returned to service just because one critical little part is busted.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
and where's he going to get the electricity from?
Electricity is EASY
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Shapeways has some great models, as well as some of kampfflieger's awesome models.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
This 1/6 scale toy hmmwv beta I done few years back cost me about 20K was done mostly in ZPrinter 650 and some parts like the tires, rims, gun and windows are done with Object printer. I was going to buy the ZPrinter 450 but Zcorp got a new ZBuilder Ultra and it looks like just want I need - if I have the money right now :(
Attached Thumbnails
3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0140.jpg   3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0152.jpg   3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0149.jpg   3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0156.jpg   3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0132.jpg  

3D printing coming soon(er)?-dsc_0080.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hawley View Post
Electricity is EASY
Electricity is easy and with all the cars sitting around, all the alternators, generators, , copper wiring, electricity will be up. Maybe not a national grid, but it won't be hard to make a small power plant, and with a sterling engine, you could burn anything to run it. With water, well all you need is a water wheel. Electricity wouldn't be hard to do on a level needed to survive. If it weren't for zoning, I'd be cracking water now off of my well head with a wind generator and using the Hydrogen and Oxygen for burning. There are people in this state doing it already, they are grandfathered in so they can't be stopped. Try putting up a large Wind Generator around here and NIMBY is the first thing you hear. It seems like every year less people know how things are really made. It's not only sad, but getting dangerous.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

I can envision so many products, experiments, parts, made with these kind of machines. I was exposed to these machines when they were classified and back then it was just to make a part to see how it looked and fit. Now, parts can be made, and used. Great potential here. Replacement bones, prosthetic devices. All made locally. This could change the nature of production. No more huge injection machines. I see a whole different way of manufacturing.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Good points

plus, seems I recall watching a program were they were creating metal parts - though I can't remember the details of how they were heating up the powder... perhaps a laser was used to fuse the part/piece. As I do recall, they made a working adjustable wrench (gear and all!)
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.95 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
What exactly (if anything) is being envisioned for these to useful in the home? I cannot think of anything.
Not now but in the future, when the raw materials have been developed/improved, I can imagine shopping on-line changing. There will be no need to wait for your purchase to arrive through the post, just click the print button after making your payment. In a few minutes your new trainers/teapot/xacto blades are ready to use.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
rbeach84

The program that I saw, I believe was "My Classic Car". It featured Jay Leno with a rare part he made for a car via his "printer". I also rememeber the adjustable wrench but can't recall if it was the same show.
Google Adsense