PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Our Tax Dollars At Work...

Anyone care to add THIS detail to their model?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/this-air...rking-lot.html
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.60 MB
It said that the carrier was also sailing back for upgrades and repairs, Talk about a factory recall!

The irony would be that at least one seaman complained about getting car sick durring the voyage.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
The ship i used to serve on did this every time they changed homeport. Thats usually when they do this. You have to make a request early and theres limited room. Remember theres over 5000 people serving on one of these and theres obviously not enough room for all their cars! Most just have family drive the vehicle across country unless like me where we were comeing from and overseas homeport....than they usually just sell their cars to the crew that relieved them.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
When I was assigned to the Canal Zone back in the 1970s, I drove my car to Charleston, from where the government shipped it to Panama. But with all the rules about using only US-flag vessels, I'll bet that such civilian-controlled shipments cost the government more than it does to piggyback members' cars on Navy ships. (When I eventually left Panama, I drove up the Interamerican Highway -- a much better arrangement, although for very different reasons.)

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, I remember on the USS Fletcher(DD-992) when we headed back to Pascagoula from San Diego for PSA that a bunch of the officer's and crew's automobiles were put in the hanger and on the flight deck. Guess a helo wasn't needed for the trip.
Google Adsense