PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
USB Drive through the mail?

Has anybody had experience with sending USB drives through the mail?

Particularly I am interested in trying to send one of the small, thin ones overseas. It seems to me that it would be a lot easier than burning a DVD and mailing it.

Further, I want to try putting it into a regular letter-type envelope and mailing it.

Many thanks!

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I would use a bubble mailer - they come in pretty small sizes - it should protect the drive and keep it from getting tossed into the automatic letter sorters that could crush the contents in a normal envelope. It may cost a few coins more than a standard letter, but worth it to make sure it gets there in once piece.

Edit: also, FYI, I moved this thread to the Lounge, as it doesn't pertain to tips or tricks for building models.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds

Last edited by cMags; 01-23-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Note about thread move
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I have sent an 8GB one of these back and forth from UK to Australia 14 times now. Just popped into a standard air mail envelope each time. The contents are downloaded and replaced each time. No sign of it wearing out yet.

Browse for Products | CPC

I also keep a couple loose in my pocket, for swoppling progs, data, etc, from friends when visiting. Much more convenient that messing about burning disks, but more expensive to give away.

Don't be fooled by the catalogue picture, they are actually smaller than they look. 25mm x 12mm x 2.5mm.

Johnny.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have never had any problem sending USB drives through the mail. I think a bubble pack would work fine, although to be on the safest side, you might want to fabricate a little cardboard coffin to avoid crushing.

Don
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I would recommend sending a micro-sd card with the adapter. If the person on the other side has the adapter, then you can send just the card. I have an old 4G one that is around 1 centimeter by 1.3 centimeters in size. They easily slip in and out of the SD adapter and come in far greater sizes. These will carry all types of data. I have a DVD player that lets me looks a the pictures of the card on my TV, and listen to music, all on the same cards. They have really come down in price. I believe the cards and adapters are standard.

Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM

This may not be what you're after Golden Bear, but if you're willing to burn a DVD why not create an ISO image of the DVD and e-mail it to your recipient so they can burn it on their end? This might require a little bit of technical expertise by the person, but they would have the contents immediately available as opposed to waiting for the mail.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

The best .ISO burning software is ImgBurn and it's free. It will also Booktype for those who wish to tell their DVD players that their DVD+r's are DVD-Rom's. You can send the file as an .ISO but then why not just zip it and send it. Doesn't make sense really, and DVD's have regional differences.

SD cards also come as regular SD cards (without the micro part) and then have really come down in price.

The Official ImgBurn Website
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is also an inexpensive device called a MicroSDHC USB READER where you insert the MicroSD card into it and can then read it using a USB port on a computer. Handy little gadget to have at times.

Closed:
USB Drive through the mail?-img_1198.jpg

Open showing where the MicroSD card goes:
USB Drive through the mail?-img_1199.jpg
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I had no trouble mailing a microSD card in just an envelope (though I also suspended it between 3 pieces of cardstock and a letter--the postal system doesn't mind if you mail a thin object in an envelope as long as it can move around, and is small enough to survive going through the rollers). A friend also mailed me a regular SD card that was just shoved between a christmas card, and it came in fine.

Worst case, you could ask them to hand cancel it to avoid it going through the rollers. It costs a little more.

As for overseas mailing, I'm not sure.