PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
A pathetically trivial problem

I'm frustrated right now. The model I've been working on steadily since the Convention in October, the one that was going to be the centerpiece of my table, the one I fell desperately in love with the moment I saw it -- just went horribly, irretrievably wrong during final assembly, and I'm not even sure where the mistake is. It's way too complex to consider reprinting and starting over at this point. It's, well, recognizable --maybe even displayable. But I'm not proud of it, and its flaws are pretty obvious with even cursory inspection. The model is "Raven God,", from the World of Warcraft Papercraft site, and I went into it knowing that it was going to be a major challenge. Even the designer warned me in a private email that it was not for beginners, and needed some rework that he was unlikely to get around to. But . . . well, d**n. D**n, d**n, d**n.

Now, I know this is exquisitely trivial compared to our members who are facing REAL problems, such as personal or family illness or grave economic woes (and those of you in distress, please be assured that you are in my thoughts, even though I've been mostly lurking lately). This is just a model that was beyond me -- and, who knows, if I tried again I might be able to work out the kinks. (I reprinted many parts as it was.) But we're all modelers here, and I figure this is the one place where most folks will understand the frustration.
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Amcombs, I don't kow how tough that particular model is, but even then, the only thing you can (and should!) do is try again. I have had those frustrations too, especially with preprinted kits, as you can't do anything wrong at all. But never lose hope. Just build, build and build more and different models, don't focus on a single one, as that is (in most cases) detrimental to the progress. Those other models don't have to be challenging, or take a long time, they are just there to take your mind off the one you really, really want to build.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Anne,

What was the problem?

those of us who have figurine experience can help you out

for those who do not know what Anne is building

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
My first advice would be to post some pics of how it looks at the moment - often we are our own worst judges...
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
My first advice would be to post some pics of how it looks at the moment - often we are our own worst judges...
From her frustration, it looks like this at the moment....

A pathetically trivial problem-paper-wad.jpg

Sorry Anne, it was to easy!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And not only that, Anne, but Ray also let a typo slip into one of HIS postings, so my sympathy for your plight (and my awe that a model that gives YOU trouble must be a heck of a challenge), is tempered by my schadenfreude. (I have been waiting for a chance to say that, Flyboy.)

Don (Dogface)
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
You have been through a learning experience. What matters is what you do with the knowledge you gained from it. Digging back into my own modeling experience (many decades ago), my initial foray into 'big boy' models happened when I was eight years of age, when I jumped in with both feet into building a Comet stick and tissue model of a Fokker D-VII, even though my dad warned me I didn't have the necessary skill set for it. Sure enough, it was an absolute fiasco. So, after working through to acceptance, I then went through a series of structo-speed kits until I was able to actually get one to fly, then through a series of beginner stick and tissue kits until one of them flew. Five or six years later, I retried the old Comet kit, and managed to make it look something like the picture on the kit cover. I guess the moral of the story is first, give your advisors some credit for knowing what they are talking about, and second, there is no shortcutting the learning curve. Keep working at it, Grasshopper. This won't be the only failure on the path...but each nuclear-grade spitwad you produce will improve the odds on success on the next build. Believe me, we all feel your pain.... now clear off the building board and get started on the next one.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I'm glad you finally got some clusure Don!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Ray -- In the origami world, we call that an origami rock. Very well known model. And, no, "Raven God" did not suffer that fate (yet), though an earlier attempt that I'd been saving for reference got savaged a little more than necessary on its way to the recycling bin.

To the rest of you, many thanks for the sympathy and good advice. And, in fact, per Legion's advice, while waiting for a tricky glue joint to dry, I did knock out a nice little vintage model from Toto's site ("Poitou" from Jan. 9, 2012), and that was pleasant. It would look nice in a shadow box.

As for "Raven God," it doesn't LOOK too bad. It basically looks like the pic that Rick so kindly posted for me. (I tried to take a picure, but between bad light, a crummy camera, and my general ineptitude with photographic equipment, it would not have added anything to the discussion.) The problem that I'm so frustrated by is in the area where the upper and lower torso and legs all join together. Somehow, they just don't mate up. I could probably diagnose it by printing four pieces (two legs plus the two torso pieces), and omitting the bajillion feathers that obscure the view (and, mercifully, kinda hide the disaster area). The thing is, though, that the model would have to be started over from scratch, which would take a couple more months. I mean, it's actually finished -- it's just wrong.

At this point, I think my best bet is to bring it to the Convention for a post-mortem. Those of us who attend can gather around and trade woeful stories. I'm going to rebuild my confidence on some quicker and less challenging models before facing "Raven God" again.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Do you remember the IPMC of 2009 when Jeff Cwiok won the Most Unusual Model award for his 1/33 Sukhoi that had gotten wet and warped when his house flooded?

Perhaps you are on your way to an award, Anne?

Don
Google Adsense