PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
If you don't update the website, I expect that you have closed and aren't in the business anymore. Simple as that, I wouldn't bother to take all the time to call to find out that you have none of the models I want in stock.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
I guess you really didn't want any models to begin with.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMORMAN View Post
I guess you really didn't want any models to begin with.
If that were the case, I wouldn't have two bookcases chock-a-block full of printed kits. Basically put, if one isn't willing to put in effort to at least update the store website, one really can't expect to stay in business over the long term....especially when there are digital vendors such as ecardmodels that are more than willing to eat your lunch. From my perspective, what we have left in the Americas for printed kit sources is one hobbiest that is thinning out his stash surplus on an 'as-negotiated' basis and one web business undergoing an extended going-out-of-business sale. In both cases, the remaining stock is rapidly becoming collector's items rather than builder's kits. I suspect that I am not atypical of most regular kit purchasers in the group...I have far more kits in my stash than I will ever reasonably expect to build in my lifetime, and already have purchased most or all of the kits I wanted (within my price range) from PMI and Papermodelstore (somehow, sounds better than PMS) offerings. I still want more kits, but want them to be recently published; however, when faced with dealing with language barriers, weeks or months of wait time between impulse purchase and gratification, and combined purchase and postage cost that make the kit price comparable with plastic model kits, the local hobby shop no longer looks all that bad.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
If that were the case, I wouldn't have two bookcases chock-a-block full of printed kits. Basically put, if one isn't willing to put in effort to at least update the store website, one really can't expect to stay in business over the long term....especially when there are digital vendors such as ecardmodels that are more than willing to eat your lunch. From my perspective, what we have left in the Americas for printed kit sources is one hobbiest that is thinning out his stash surplus on an 'as-negotiated' basis and one web business undergoing an extended going-out-of-business sale. In both cases, the remaining stock is rapidly becoming collector's items rather than builder's kits. I suspect that I am not atypical of most regular kit purchasers in the group...I have far more kits in my stash than I will ever reasonably expect to build in my lifetime, and already have purchased most or all of the kits I wanted (within my price range) from PMI and Papermodelstore (somehow, sounds better than PMS) offerings. I still want more kits, but want them to be recently published; however, when faced with dealing with language barriers, weeks or months of wait time between impulse purchase and gratification, and combined purchase and postage cost that make the kit price comparable with plastic model kits, the local hobby shop no longer looks all that bad.
No truer words were ever spoken.

I had brought the issue up to Krys from the papermodelstore a while back, but I was told there seems to be no market for them in the US.

I believe the market is still here, but of course, who would buy from a store that has no models they want? (Technically you wouldn't be there in the first place, but that just drives the point home. Then there's the argument that one would want to support the store, which is reasonable.)

The European vendors are becoming, arguable have already become, the place to purchase paper models from a massive selection of subjects/ publishers, and with each day, the US based vendors are becoming less and less attractive. (I'm not saying I don't appreciate the European vendors, they are absolutely respectable and have great customer service - at least the shops I've dealt with.)

Still, I think we have to understand that some of the shops, such as papermodelstore, are run by a human(s)- Krys - who no doubt has his fair share of love towards papermodels. I don't know the financial situation of papermodelstore, so I don't want to speculate, but from my email with Krys, I can assume it's not too healthy.

Perhaps a slight nudge, perhaps someone should bring this to Krys' and Mark's attention?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Banned

There are some opportunities for any designers with Mark. He is extremely laid back, and is building up steam. I think once he has all his ducks in a row, then you will see what you are looking for. In the meanwhile, purchasing models from the inventory he does have, which can be verified by talking to him, which is quite easy, might get you some really great models at a great price. Sometimes, when you look at the scenario, you can see an opportunity to be had. Kind of like passing a Tag Sale at a very wealthy house, and everything is priced extremely well. No update since 2009.......that means, 2009 prices. That could be worth looking into.
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Smile Papermodels in america

This is an odd subject,I know.The thing is,when PMI was in business as a going entity I got some unusual models that can be found nowhere else.
The fact is,even though I primarily build in plastic for clients,some want what they have seen on my shelves all built up.
These particular models are of unusual AMERICAN small vessels and some are of some limited historical interest.
That being said,there are many of the vessels that WILEMSHAVEN and SCHREIBER did that I still want.
There are also some from the POLISH companies that interest me ,even though the scale is smaller than I like in some cases.
Now,thats covered.What I need are clear addresses for the companies you all speak of.The EURO conversion is something I have dealt with when buying from places over there.
If I can find what I want ,no problem. Thanks, everyone. papersurprise50

Last edited by papersurprise50; 04-13-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Misspelled WILEMSHAVEN