PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Chess Anyone?

Does anyone here play chess? Does anyone have a Chess.com account and want to play?

While other kids these days play video games, I find chess to be the absolute hallmark of games! I tried to organize a chess club at my high school, but members have been few and far between, and I find myself turning to the online scene to play chess.

Honestly, playing chess online does not have the same appeal it has when one plays face to face!

Now, some of you may be asking yourselves, why would this kid ask people if they want to play chess online? And on this forum of all places?

Well, I'm pretty sure many of you understand the internet isn't a place where respectfulness and manners is always present. Those who are on forums probably know this truth, and the most immediate and prevalent example I can think of is the PC Gaming/ Console gaming communities - many of which are plagued with pretty bad mannerisms.

This is a truth that affects the online chess community as well. I play 'Live Chess' as labeled by Chess.com - which is essentially a real time game of chess against someone in the world. Usually the user-base at any one time is around 7000-8000 people, and one can get games against individuals with equal skill levels through some sort of 'matchmaking' system.

However, I frequently go against an opponent who is flat out rude! Especially when I'm so close to checkmating them. I usually experience an opponent who, when is about to lose, purposely lets the clock run! In fact, the said opponents usually insults me with some pretty nasty language - and of course I'm old enough to understand this is usual, but in a game of chess?

So - I would really love to play chess with anyone on this forum, as I know you guys have the utmost respect for each of our members! I guess I'm getting tired of the 'you suck' and '***************' phrases that get thrown at me while playing a good 'ole game of chess.

So anyone up for it?

(I'm no good at chess, in fact I'm rather poor at it! But I do certainly find myself playing whenever I get the chance - either at school brunch breaks, school lunch breaks, afterschool, and occasionally in my AP classes :D)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________
For those not interested, but have played chess, perhaps we could get a bit of chess discussion rolling!

For starters, what's your guys's favorite opening? I don't know many, but usually I play either e4 or d4 depending on the opponent's first move.
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Memories. I was an avid player in high school. I remember the night I taught my dad how to play....he refused to let me go to bed until he won a game. Finally, at 3:00 am (we started at 7:00 pm right after mom cleared the table of dinner dishes), I threw a game just so I could go to bed. I was president of the High School chess club in my senior year. I really haven't played that much since then (I was in HS class 1962, which gives you some idea how long ago that was), so am pretty rusty. Just watch youself when you get into college....it can seriously get in the way of study time. And for heaven's sake, don't learn how to play bridge until you get out of school. I'm not a member of chess.com, but will consider giving it a try. I used to be partial to queen's gambit. Not that I was all that great at it, but most of my opponents were so unfamiliar with that kind of opening they usually made mistakes faster than I did.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
I'm not a member of Chess.com, but may have to consider it as well. I was on the Chess team as well, and here I thought I was the only one that liked Queens Gambit. Like you Darwin, I wasn't the best at it, but my experience showed that even several years later, a lot of players still made more mistakes against it than didn't.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I was always the Iowa State of chess players in chess club. Lost more than I won, but if I was up against whoever was at the top, I usually won. Probably because of unorthodox play throwing them off their game.

I'd be afraid to get on chess.com, because I don't have enough time to build models already...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I love chess. I am at the enviable position of having beat my Father-in-Law 4 times in a row, he is an excellent player, and now I won't play him anymore. He really gets him. I just say, been there, done that!! People who drink should not play chess.

He's one of those people who gets way too mad if he losses or messes up on a move.
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
My mom taught me to play chess when I came down with the measles as a kid. I didn't play a lot after learning until I got into high school and met people who liked to play (which led to a lot of wargaming also).

In my senior year, my high school held its first school wide chess tournament. It was a double elimination affair and I entered it for the fun of it. I lost my first game, but then went on a tear and ended up in the championship game. The game is one of my best and worst memories of high school.

I was up against the most popular non-sports affiliated person in the senior class. He had 20 or so people on his side, watching each and every move he made. He would make a move and even if it didn't make sense, they would applaud. On my side was no one, as I was a "greaser" in high school. I carried a 1.7 grade point average, hung out with the worst of the worst, of which none cared about a chess tournament.

About eight moves into the game, I decided since my opponent was playing a very cautious game, that I would go on a blitzkrieg. I moved my queen out for the attack with the plan to do as much damage as possible, then sacrifice her for the win. He moved a pawn to an attack position on my queen and I saw an immediate checkmate. Of course I made the kill. My opponent stared at the board for a moment, looked at me and slightly dipped his head, stood up and with a lot of "good game" from his friends, walked off. I sat there for a moment, turned to the official watching the game and said, "Is that it?" He said it was, so I got up and went home.

The next day, during first hour classes, the announcement was made about the winner of the chess tournament. The announcer butchered my name so badly, that not even the students and teacher in the class I was in at the time knew it was me. They kept asking, "Who is that?" Embarrassed, I didn't tell anyone it was me.

A few days later, I was presented a trophy at an awards assembly. After receiving the award, people came up to me and said, "You're the one who beat so-an-so?"

I played chess off and on after that during my military days. While in stationed in Italy, I met a Russian who constantly kicked my butt. However, I learned a lot from her. I've continued off and on playing since then.

When computer chess came out, I jumped on it. Can't remember the program, but it was one of the first ones and I got tired of beating it. After getting another one 12 year ago, I have yet to beat it, even on its easy setting...just not concentrating as I should. But it could also be I just can't play unless I have that board in front of me. My mind set when I sit in front of a board is total concentration on the game. When I sit in front of the computer, I just can't concentrate hard on the game.

But I still fire up my program once in a while.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Really great stories guys, I especially can relate to Darwin's experience - except, I wouldn't let my father go to sleep unless I won. There was a time when I could tell my father was throwing the game, but that was when I didn't start discovering 'chess' and a good deal about it (though I have yet to scratch the surface). It still is gratifying and extremely fun to play chess with my father.

And Ashrunner, what a breathtaking turn of events, it should go down in writing! (Or typing in this case) - Truly the stuff of legends.

Speaking of the Queen's Gambit, I just completed a 5 minute 'Live Chess' match with an individual just a few minutes ago on Chess.com. I was playing black and I could tell it was the Queen's Gambit after c4. Honestly, I'm not too good with book openings and most of the time I just try to pick up fundamentals here and there and apply them to my game.

For those interested, the match went something like this:

1.d4 d5
2.c4 dxc4
3.e4 e6
4.Nf3 Nf6
5.Nc3 Bb4
6.Bxc4 Nxe4
7.Qa4+Nc6
8.O-O Nxc3
9.bxc3 Bxc3
10.Rb1 Bxd4
11.Nxd4 Qxd4
12.Bb5 Qxa4
13.Bxa4 O-O
14.Be3 Na5
15.Rbc 1c6
16.Rfd 1b5
17.Bc2 Bb7
18.Be4 f5
19.Bf3 Rad8
20.Bc5 Rfe8
21.h3 Rxd1+
22.Rxd1 a6
23.Rd7 g5
24.Bb6 Nc4
25.Bc5 Ne5
26.Rxb7 Nxf3+
27.gxf3 Rd8
28.Be3 Rd1+
29.Kg2 f4
30.Rb8+Kg7
31.Rb7+Kg6
32.Re7 h5
33.Rxe6+Kf5
34.Rh6 g4
35.Rxh5+Ke6
36.hxg4 fxe3

I came down to the wire with my opponent, and at move 30 we each had 10 seconds left. I haven't done any analysis of it, but I think I should have played 20. Nc4, looking to play Nb2, but then that could be met with Rb1. However, I was counting that time pressure would cause some impulsive moves. Definitely not my best game, and I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes, but for a change, my opponent wasn't rude. In fact, I played several games with another opponent who I actually befriended and we discussed our sentiments after each game.

I'm glad that you guys are considering playing on chess.com, and hopefully I'll be able to get in a game with you guys in the near future. I'll be looking forward to it!

In other chess related discussion, has anyone checked this out?

Graphic Novel | Stories Before a Goodnight Kiss

The author, Theocarous, is portraying the story of the famous (or infamous) Bobby Fischer, and the title seems rather interesting! I've read the first three chapters that he's put up, and do await the fourth. He plans to release the story as an actual high quality hardcover publication, but intends to allow readers to view the story online through the pdf's on his site. The content structure is rather interesting, and has a certain aesthetic appeal to it.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.52 MB
Chess

Everyday I'm on the computer to play chess
I play as a guest on chess.com - I tried to subscribe but something went wrong and I can't get logged in or subscribed.
Site I'm playing on is : chessmaniac - Chesshandle there is rhansom
Chesscube - (South Africa Room) Name there is Centac
FICS - Free internet chess Server - hrogers
Hope to meet you sometime over a board of chess

email - [email protected] - [email protected]
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
I use the Chess with Friends app on my phone.
Did anybody get Kell Black's Paper Chess set book?
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Chess-Cr...9587252&sr=8-1

Good Stuff!