PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
need advice

I need advice as to what card stock to use in my printer. Its an older HP 2400 series.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I use 65 lb stock for most things, but for bigger models, or for HO buildings, I use 110 lb. You can get it at any good office supply store, like Kinko's. If you have a paper supply store, that's even better, because you can get various colors. Some WW II aircraft, for instance, look great on blue card stock, and some buildings on tan.

It also depends on how thick your printer will take. I've never used an HP, so I guess you'll just have to experiment.

Garland
Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Do you know what route the paper takes through the printer?

I had a printer once (Don't remember what model or maker, and don't want to), that started off in a bottom tray, then flipped the paper over, printed on it, then flipped it over again on the way out. 110lb cardstock from Walmart usually jammed on the second flip.

A more recent printer pulled paper from the back, printed on it and spit it out the front. I honestly believe I could have run thin gauge aluminum plate through it with no problem.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
My printer takes the paper from the bottom tray and spits it out on an upper tray by way of internal rollers. It only prints on one side of the paper. If I wanted to print front and back I would have to flip it over and send it through again. Which is thicker 110lb or 65lb?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I second ghshinn's and murphyaa's advice. The 65lb is a good all-purpose cardstock. If your project has large, minimally-supported panels (like some buildings) and the 65lb stock seems floppy, then you can go to the heavier 110lb stock. I keep both on hand, but use a lot more 65lb.

Anne
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
at6-the 65lb is slightly thinner than the 110# . The 65# is considered Point 8 while the 110# is point 9 thick. Equivelant weight in Index would be around 100# Index.

Big thing to realize is that cardstock is weighed by how big the sheet size is (basis weight). Cover has a small sheet but is fairly thick, index has a bigger sheet size and is slightly thinner.

Check out the link below my signature to see some charts that try to explain all of this.

Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well, I was running 110# Georgia Pacific cardstock through a HP 720C printer many years ago with no problem. The U-shaped path handled that cardstock good.