PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Paper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI

The "Small Wings, Big Dreams" exhibit at the EAA AirVenture Museum came down last week after a run of nearly two years. It was a popular exhibit displaying all kinds of scale and flying models. It included a display that I put up, of paper models built by modelers from around North America who donated their work to the museum.

Originally scheduled for a one-year run, the exhibit stayed an extra year by popular demand.

The other long-lived paper model exhibit at the museum has also come down. I created that one almost ten years, updating it with a few new models every year. That exhibit was originally supposed to last six months. Because of all the positive visitor comments, it lasted nearly a decade. This winter, the museum needed the display cases for an exhibit about Burt Rutan and the models went into storage.

For now, there are no paper models on display in the museum, but Curator Ron Twellman knows how popular the paper models exhibits have been and he and I are continuing to look for ways to get some paper models back on exhibit before this year's Oshkosh convention. Some of the small display cases built for "Small Wings, Big Dreams" may be available for paper models very soon.

In the meantime, a big "THANK YOU!!" from the museum and from me to all the modelers who have shared their work over the years.

And EAA, have no fear...We'll be back!
--David
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-eaa-exhibit-wide1.jpg   Paper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-entrance.jpg   Paper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-emil-120a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Thank you for the latest showing of the display. Has it been that long?? Time really flies when you are having fun.

Bob Neill
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You can always sneak some of my Rutan models into the Burt Rutan display
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
So what's next?

What is the museum replacing the displays with?

Are they keeping any models? RC or big planes? I know there are many there.

I have seen paper models back in 2006 which was the last year I visited that museum during Air Venture.
Here are some pictures:

Paper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-dsc00578.jpgPaper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-dsc00579.jpgPaper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-dsc00580.jpgPaper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-dsc00581.jpgPaper Models at the EAA Museum, Oshkosh, WI-dsc00582.jpg

Thanks

Isaac
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
it is testament to the quality of your models and the superb presentation of them that your exhibition was there for 20 times longer than originally planned.

Fabulous. You've inspired me to see if RAF Cosford up the road from me would be interested in a paper modelling section. Wonder if fellow Midlanders would be interested in contributing?

Nice one.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense