PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Gary P: Not boring at all. It's the friendly face of a terrific model designer.

Art Deco: I think yours is my fav symbolic avatar. It goes perfectly with your username.

Wade
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

I have nine brothers, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, and of course, Zathros, and me, Zathros. It is a family tradition and having different names was quite a chore for our parents to come up, (Zathros and Zathros) but they were quite ingenious. So that is why I use my real name and picture.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I have nine brothers, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, Zathros, and of course, Zathros, and me, Zathros. It is a family tradition and having different names was quite a chore for our parents to come up, (Zathros and Zathros) but they were quite ingenious. So that is why I use my real name and picture.
But you forgot your other brother Zathros.......

My handle is the abbreviation of our company name, and the avatar is our specialty, Retro Sci-fi.
papermodelers (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Well, my username "luke strawwalker" comes from a play on one of my favorite forms of entertainment, Star Wars, mixed in with a play on words combining that with something from my field of vocation, agriculture... A "straw walker" is a reciprocating sawtooth-backed device inside the back part of a grain combine that separates the threshed grain from the straw, as it moves the straw to the back of the machine to discharge it out the back, and returns that grain to the cleaning sieves... plus it's a nice play on words for "skywalker"...

My nickname is actually "OL(d) JR" as in "JR Ewing" from the TV show "Dallas" that I used to watch WAY too much of back when I was in high school... since my initials are also J.R. it sorta stuck (that and I ALWAYS wore a hat back then, just like JR Ewing).

My avatar comes from a pic from one of the old "Bloom County" cartoon anthology books we had in the high school library I worked in back when I was in high school back in the 80's... It's a pic of a "cruise basselope", an obvious pun about the wasteful and stupid gov't spending of billions on new and creative ways to end humanity that was going on at the time. I thought it rather amusing so I kept a copy of the cartoon on the front of my binder all through high school. I picked up the signature line from a farm show I visited a few years ago, where some fellow who made all kinds of whirlygigs and strange devices out of old farm machinery and powered them with a putt-putt one-lung hit-n-miss engine... He had a box with a flyswatter mounted on top, cocked and ready over a rubber piece of "cheese" for bait. From a hole in the opposite end of the box, a small rubber mouse would appear, hesitate a moment, then "run" down the length of the box (propelled on a wire sticking up through a slot in the top of the box) toward the cheese, stop and start to "eat" it, whereupon the flyswatter could smack down onto the cheese a split second after the mouse ran back into his hole, propelled by a spring released by a cog under the table... the flyswatter would then reset itself (via cog and triplever) and the mouse would appear out of the box and try again... It was hilarious to watch... The owner had put a stencil on the box for everyone to read, "Homeland Security Prototype-- TOP SECRET! Big $$$$" which was rather hilarious itself considering some of the stupidity that was coming out of Homeland Security at the time (duct tape and plastic wrap your house, etc...)

Remember, YOU ASKED!!
Later! OL JR
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
"Hi! I'm Larry, this is my brother Darrel, and this is my other brother Darryl..."

Hahaha... I used to love that show...

Later! OL JR
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
... for some of us has the nick safety reasons. A lot of companies are spying out and controlling their employees what they are doing in their leisure time ... not fantasy, it's true ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Willygoat comes from a rather strange bit of pure silliness between my wife and I. I had been watching a show on Animal Planet while building a model. She said something about how weird it was, and I called her a "silly billy goat", as the show was about goats. She responded by calling me a "silly wily goat". It stuck I guess. My Avatar is the museum where I work part time- the Strategic Air and Space Museum (formerly the SAC museum)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 PM

I used to build boats in a town located on the widest stretch of the Hudson River, a hot locale for canoe sailing back in the nineteen-oughts. The summer breeze, what there was of it, was usually just popcorn-puff thermal activity that wafted first one way, then the other, like a little broom over the water--the "Hudson Duster." I told that story (among others) enough times that the name sorta stuck to me, and now I just keep it.

The pic comes from a rendition of me, done in a computer-caricature booth at the Las Vegas Airport. I liked it. I brought the thing home and proudly showed my daughters, and my then-17-year-old remarked, "Well, Dad, no Billy Goat Gruff's gonna get over that bridge on YOUR watch, that's certain."

'Dust
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
My new avatar is from my favorite childhood comic book 'Tanguy and Laverdure' a Mirage III-C pilot by uderzo. My forum ID is when i practicing Aikido with my Dojo friends , i always ended face down on the mat/ tatami... and i yelled 'aaargh Kampr**t'' and my Sensei asked What you said!! (in A loud angry voice)... i reply still facedown and pin 'kacrut! i said Kacrut!'...so it stuck with me for the last 5 years now LOL!!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Wow, this thread just became one of my favorites, almost as good as the papermodeler one...

first intial, last name, and my favorite glider to draw attention away from my photo.

Mike
Yeah, but I know who you really are and what your hobby really is ...
Google Adsense