PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Interesting how most of the memories expressed in the blog actually run contrary to the blogger's thoughts (he lost me when he made war mongering out to be a bad thing)...it all comes down to the imagination of a child (of any age!)...
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
Here is a photo of the beta test model
When my wife was a little girl , her older brother got one she remembers it clearly, I have a photo of it, it was stunning to me how bad it looked.
to call it a cardboard box was insulting to cardboard boxes
I wanted to make one that looked like the actual advertisement.
I ended up connecting up with a filmmaker who planned to do a short movie about a kid who ordered one from a comic book and actually gets what is advertised. He asked me to hang back releasing my model to coincide with the movie, I said sure and then nothing ever happened with the movie
So I guess I should get it out.
Attached Thumbnails
A 7' (2m) Cardboard Submarine-polaris.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Just sent an email asking about the cost and if it was possible to print a full life size F104 Starfighter to the on-line Fedex express site.

When printing on big sheets, ink costs are major dollars. My printer can print on 2ft x 3ft sheets of cardstock.

The printer uses 6-different ink cartridges. It won't print grey color just using the black ink though. It does it by using/blending the 5-other colors which means it has a slight green tint to it.

The reason why this mentioned is because it used up the 2-smaller cartridges ($40 each) and 3/4 of the big cartridges ($40 each) to print out 5-R/C SR71 Habu (Blackbirds) that were listed on ebay. The SR71 was 4ft 9 inches long. Used a charcol grey color for the main color and then black to simulate details.

Total cost was around $200 for the 5 models. I got $50 each, for the ones that were sold (2).

If someone would like bigger prints I can do them, full color is going to cost, but black outlines would be cheaper. My printer can do photo quality (2400 x 1200 dpi) prints on cardstock.

To print 10 maps for a business recently, made $10 a sheet.

I can take a letter size PDF and print at almost any size. Did a job for a member here at PM. PDF was scaled 488% which took 4-pages of 2ft x 3ft cardstock to print one PDF letter size. Model went from a 5" wingspan to almost 28". The shipping for 8-sheets was almost $20 however.

Mike
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
If you are going to do something that big
it would be much more economical to do it in regular brown cardboard box
then spraypaint it with white primer then
paintit like the real thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Black outline that could be blown up to A1 or A0 would be the way to go especially for something that is intended for outside use like the submarine...I'd be transferring the design across to ply and building from that...
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltedfalcon View Post
Here is a photo of the beta test model
When my wife was a little girl , her older brother got one she remembers it clearly, I have a photo of it, it was stunning to me how bad it looked.
to call it a cardboard box was insulting to cardboard boxes
I wanted to make one that looked like the actual advertisement.
I ended up connecting up with a filmmaker who planned to do a short movie about a kid who ordered one from a comic book and actually gets what is advertised. He asked me to hang back releasing my model to coincide with the movie, I said sure and then nothing ever happened with the movie
So I guess I should get it out.

Go ahead and upload it. It would be a simple chore to scale your model up to kid size and add bulkheads for rigidity. My sons are all grown, but I have some friends with young children. The periscope would be an easy addition using PVC pipe and some mirrors.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
OMG.....1:1 scale......

Jim
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello,

Did anyone ever end up reproducing the polaris nuclear sub or does anyone have one for sale?

I have a friend who has wanted one of these forever.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
I wanted this real bad as kid in the 60's...dad said he ordered it but i always wondered? Especially since it never showed up!