PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Fight Internet Pirates and Thieves: A Proposal

Ruben Andres Martinez is at it again digitizing Alan Rose's DC-3: with the generous man's blessing. During the course of the discussion, we hit on the fact that there is one Ebay seller trying to unload an original copy for $175.

Judging by the comments I have seen these past several years, there are few of us with pockets deep enough, or sensibilities light enough to pay that exorbitant sum. Reading Ruben's comments, an idea hit me. This is what I posted on his thread.

"RAM, I agree with all of your points. I have an idea that might "throw a wrench" into exorbitant prices AND pirates.

I am wondering if we, the members of PM, could set up a "committee" of sorts who finds these ridiculous prices and pirates trying to sell other peoples' work and "sells" the same thing on Ebay.

An example might look like this:

DC-3 by Alan Rose, By it Now Price: .50

Yes, that 's .50 cents for an authorized, full-size, digitally restored version of the famous Alan Rose DC-3 model.

In fact, why pay anything at all? Certainly, the $175 the other guy is asking is ridiculous! Go to papermodelers.com, register, become a member (no fees) of one of the largest paper modeling groups on the internet, introduce yourself, and get involved by posting on a few threads that interest you. You will soon be qualified to download the file absolutely free!.

If you can't wait, choose the By it Now option, and I'll send the fully digitized file to you.

The .50 cents covers the listing and value added fees. We could do the same with other kits that are being pirated.

Good idea, guys? I'd love to join in the fun. I already have an Ebay seller's account. I'm ready to start nailing some of these internet pirates and thieves! It's a waste of time complaining to Ebay. Hit'em in the pocket book; that's were you can have some effect!"
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Interesting. My only question would be one of eBay cooperation. They get picky about some listings being advertizing type adds rather then auctions or BIN listings. Over all, I think it is great!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
If somebody wants to pay $175, they will pay it. That does not mean that every copy that goes on sale via eBay will bring $175, though.

As for offering the DC-3 at .50, I have seen models for sale on eBay that are available at no cost from their creators. They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, and it is sure that there is a goodly supply of fools in this world!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
eBay may have restrictions on selling digital goods, or at least I think it used to at some point.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
I think your idea would have little or no effect on the price of the an original uncut copy of the Alan Rose DC-3
To a collector a digital model isn't worth the paper its printed on.

This would be comparable to the market in First edition hardback books.
I can go by a current edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers stone for just a few dollars -however a first edition of the book runs between $40,000 and $55,000

Someone buying an orignal Alan Rose DC-3 is more likely a collector than a builder (although a lot of collectors build)

Your digital reprint will not effect the originals market at all.
and if you think $175 is steep for an ARDC3 just wait for the economy to start picking up
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

If it's an original, he may get $175 for it. There are people in this country (US) that have way too much money, I know quite a few, that would pay for this, because it is so hard to find. They would never build it. It seems tidiculous but if someone printed out that same model that would coost quite a big of money, and it wouldn't be an original. Until this forum, I had never seen or had an idea that planes made of paper, that big, existed. I don't know about this. I have a 1975 CB400F motorcycle, it shouldn't be worth 300 or 400 dollars, but try and buy one at that price, or one with the racing engine mine has, you can't even find a Yoshima X3 engine. I have had silly offers for that bike but it was my first bike, I bought it new. I don't know about this. It's not a pirate. It's a capitalist, close to being a pirate, just on the right side of the law.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Something wrong with someone selling a original copy for $175?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
Something wrong with someone selling a original copy for $175?

They will have to wrench the original copies you have given me from my dead cold hands!!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Maybe the buyer meant to put $1.75, but he mistyped his bid durring the last minute rush?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
The vendor is perfectly entitled to legitimately sell what he legitimately owns for as much as he legitimatly can. There is no evidence whatsoever of piracy involved. Just legitimate explotation of the market. Caveat emptor - suckers beware.
Google Adsense