PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Looking for a jet engine

Didn't know were to ask this so stuck it in here.

I just built a 1:24 scale semi truck with a stretched sleeper and allot of detail. I wanna scratch build a trailer for it and have a jet engine on the trailer (like in the attached pic) I want the engine to be exposed and untarped. Does any one know were I might be able to find a nice 1:24 engine (preferably a Boeing 747) I can build, or one I can scale up?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a jet engine-file0013.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
747's came with a variety of engines. The Rolls Royce engines seemed to be easier to find, as far as pictures, but the an uncovered engine would have an immense amount of detailing. You would have to be more specific, maybe dig up some pics, and determine what you would settle fore. Something with some specs would be a good start.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Any engine would do but if you want a specific one then I would have to say the Rolls Royce Trent 800
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
No one makes a detailed Turbofan engine. All the kits only have a nacelle ( the outside engine housing and fairing ). So you are on your own to design and build an engine.

Normally an engine is not transported with the nacelle installed. The photo you posted shows what appears to be the engine only ( probably a Pratt JT-9D ) that is covered by a tarp.

You will make your life much easier if you made a simple engine outline and have it covered as shown. Otherwise, a detailed engine will be more work than the entire truck ( in any scale ).

Isaac
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
No one makes a detailed Turbofan engine. All the kits only have a nacelle ( the outside engine housing and fairing ). So you are on your own to design and build an engine.

Normally an engine is not transported with the nacelle installed. The photo you posted shows what appears to be the engine only ( probably a Pratt JT-9D ) that is covered by a tarp.

You will make your life much easier if you made a simple engine outline and have it covered as shown. Otherwise, a detailed engine will be more work than the entire truck ( in any scale ).

Isaac
I figured I would be on my own on this, that is no problem, was just looking to make it a little easier on me.

As for them being transported, I know they don't ship with the nacelle on, when I was a truck driver I would run allot with Southern Pride, the main company that transports these monsters. They are always tarped during transport but I wanted to display mine untarped to show off more detail to the model.

If I knew it wouldn't ruffle some feathers I would post a pic of my truck I built but it is 90% p*****c, allot of the things I scratch built for it though I did out of cardstock, I just gotta have my cardstock in every thing I do. LOL
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Inky

No feathers are ruffled. Not even sure why you are saying this?

Just offering you opinion.

Isaac
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

No feathers are ruffled. Not even sure why you are saying this?
I was mainly just joking around. This is a paper model site and I know P*****C is usually a dirty word around here. LOL

Here is the truck...

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...6/DSC_0065.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...6/DSC_0066.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...6/DSC_0067.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...6/DSC_0068.jpg

The front bumper, sun visor, air breather air deflectors, side tool box, back tool box, light bars under sleeper, A/C unit, bottom half and trim of satellite dome, top air deflector, vent covers on the side of hood, exhaust stacks, and back bumper and all of the frame work are all card stock.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
THAT is one of THE most beautiful truck models I have ever seen!

A truly magnificent model, in any medium.!

As for aeroengines, the only thought I had takes your idea a little out of timeframe.
I'd been about to suggest the JD79 B as used in an F104 Starfighter.
There does exist a cardboard model of the same plastic kit engine as was used by Revell in their 1:48 F104 kit.
Granted, not an airliner engine, but one of the progenitors, metallurgically speaking.

Kind and Respectful Regards Inky, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
This is not a real engine but you are welcome to use my ideas in scratch building one. It could be that the flat bed is transporting an engine for a Sci-Fi convention.
Warhammer Armor and things.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
If I knew the length from the rear tip of this Trent engine, to the front edge, (pic attached), I could bang out a simple model for you that you could "greeble" to you heart's content. A cradle would be somewhat easy for you to do. Without any dimensions, I would not attempt it. So see if you can find some detailed information.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a jet engine-trent_800_turbofan_by_bigviggenschtein-d3762rj.jpg   Looking for a jet engine-trencradle2.jpg  
Google Adsense