PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Flying the Piper Cub

When I'm not involved in card modeling I'm a military computer simulation nut. NOT A GAMER! Due to Fiddlersgreen I have become hooked on the Piper cub. As I am house bound the only way I could ever fly a Piper Cub would be through my PC. Thisis what I mean.
A2A Piper Cub Review

A2A Piper Cub Review - YouTube
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
What Sim are you using?

I do most of mt flying using x-plane9.

My Mac is having troubles with the youtube video.

Mike
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
This flight sim is done through MSFS. Have a look at this. A2A Simulations
For my WW II, Korea and Viet Nam I use IL-2 1946. I fly with a group called CPS(Casual Pilots Squadron).
There is a FAC aircraft in it that looks like a Piper Cub.
I hope that helps. wc
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you for that wonderful flight. I am both envious of and happy for you. What a wonderful plane, and what a wonderful scenery. I downloaded your video, in order to be able to return to it at high quality. If I had that plane, and that environment, in a computer that would do them justice, I would very likely be caught up in that virtual world with a clear risk of never coming out again, which is a kind of sobering insight. But it was still wonderful to see. - L.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Eternal Member

Leif, this is only one of many different worlds I enjoy myself in. I would be more then happy to share videos of those I enjoy if your interested. Most of them are military in kind. Different periods on time and places in the world. Here in the card modeling world some make aircraft from paper. Other with 3D programs make aircraft to fly just as you watched. World to get lost in.
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You've re kindled my interest in flight sims, Wad Cutter so I'll be buying a copy of SFX after my next pay day. I downloaded the trial and my rig runs it on max graphics settings without a problem so I'll be getting into that shortly.

Now I'm going to have to balance my model building with siming.

My galleries
Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Just so you understand, I'm not suggesting MSF X. There are so many real good flight simulations out there. It all depends on the person, time period and type of aircraft. Also if you want to fly combat or none combat as well. The graphics in Rise of Flight which is WW I is awesome. The combat flying in IL-2 is ver good too though the ground graphics could be better. They are all flight sims but very different. Cliffs of Dover has some of the best graphics I have ever seen but the program has lots of bugs with no promise of it ever being fixed. As for me and my Piper Cub it would have to be MSF X with accu-sim. The ability to be able to fly this aircraft any where in the world I want would do it for me. You should go the A2A site and have a look at there Youtubes for there different aircraft. The B-17 is mind blowing while the Spitfire is great also. It's a matter of looking around and seeing what rocks your boat for you. I fly with a group of friends Monday through Friday in IL-2. It's great flight sim and have to be up-graded a lot but it might not do it for you. Ok? Also there is Lock On F lamming Cliffs 2 which is all jets modern day. If you looking to really excape into a virtue world and totally get los in ti and you think helicopters would be fun and want to get into modern day military combat, then ArmAII/Operation Arrowhead would do. These are not games so much as they are military simulations. Games and playing with kids would be more like Battlefields 3 or Modern Warfare 3. There is a hug difference between simulations and games. I hope that helps a bit.wc
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Man, it's gotta take quite a computer to process all that info!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Is this a good system to run a flight sim?

Wad Cutter, you've got me thinking about getting a flight sim. I know very little about them and I don't really know what kind of hardware is required.

I just recently bought the setup below, for doing my work which involves some fairly serious graphics. Can you tell if this is a good system for doing these flight sims.
__________________________________________________ _____________
XPS 8300 CPU with Intel Core i7-2600 processor (8MB Cache), 3.4 GHz
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHZ, 2x4GB/2x2GB
AMD Radeon HD 6870 Video card
2- side by side 23" monitors
__________________________________________________ ______________

I like the MS FSX, with the A2A addons. Is this a reasonable thing to consider with the system I have?

If you want me to take this to PM level, just say the word and we can go behind the curtain just to not take off on a tangent here.

Thanks,

Swampfox
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Eternal Member

The World of Virtual Flying

I have two PC’s. One is an XP which is my general computer for searching the internet and downloading. My other PC is my gaming PC.
XPS 8999,Intel Core i7-960, 12 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 with Windows 7, which will handle anything thing I have or want.
I can run IL-2 on the XP but it runs a lot better on the Windows 7. You can look any program you want and find it system requirements. The A2A Forums would be a better place to ask then myself.
A2A Forum
The A2A Simulations Community • Index page
or
A2A
A2A Simulations
or
A2A Simulations

IL-2 is a flight sim which starts just before WWII and runs all the way through the war in Europe, the Pacifica, Cold War period and into Viet Nam with no end in sight. There are various groups who bold aircraft, maps, ships and etc. just as you guys make card models.
FSX is a non combat flight sim where you can fly from almost any airport in the world. Set the weather and the same about aircraft. Pick from a long list of planes. Before you buy anything I would search through Youtubes and ask all the question you can. I don’t want to point you in any directions and later have you come back and say it was a waste of money. My escapement I spent hours in ArmAII/ Operation Arrowhead when I’m not doing card modeling and then at night I have IL-2 with my friends. To each his own.
Equipment. I use a Seitex X 52 for my joystick with it’s throttle. I also use a headset with a microphone. I use foot peddles on my gaming PC. You can get by with a simple joystick to start with and if you do go on line then pick up the headset. Some guys really go over board of this stuff.
I found a video of the military version of the Piper Cub with I can fly right now.

IL2 1946 HSFX 5 Stinson Sentinel L5 free flight
IL2 1946 HSFX 5 Stinson Sentinel L5 free flight - YouTube
This will explain more on the A2A system.
Accu-Feel: Core FSX Enhancement
Accu-Feel: Core FSX Enhancement - YouTube

I hope that helps. Let me know. wc
Google Adsense