PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
if it wasn't for the fact hat the article was published on 2nd i would have assumed it was an April fool. interesting material.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I got a detailed response from them. I'll share it if they give me permission (the note had boilerplate legalese on the bottom prohibiting sharing.)

Despite their "this is not paper" clarifications, I ordered a sampler mentioning that we all have all kinds of special materials in our drawers more-or-less related to "paper" - cuttable magnets, cereal boxes, stickers, foamboard, etc. Another specialty material is nothing to us and may do something amazing that we are looking for...

When I get it, I'll make my very first web videos to share it with you all - what I learn from trying to work with it.

OldSchoolDM
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolDM View Post
What the heck, I'm sending the request for a sample to try out building paper models. If they send me one, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I kinda doubt they will, but who knows? We could be a perfect early-adopter crowd. At least that is what I am going to suggest....
I've always had good luck dealing direct with paper companies.

Several have sent free samples, Yupo even sent a whole pack of their cover 13 x19 for free with free shipping.

Just make sure to send info about what the use is and that you're doing a test for others as well!

Good luck getting some!

Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Just make sure to send info about what the use is and that you're doing a test for others as well!
Done! And they've already been to papermodelers.com at my urging. I think that's why I got such a great, detailed personal response. [Will post as soon as I get permission.]
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Wonder how fire resistant it is? Got a project it might work on.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM

So - the package came today. Here's my very first how-to video: Unboxing FiberStone...

If you have thoughts about things you'd like me to try, just drop a response here.

I'll add videos as I go through the various experiments.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
I wonder how well it cuts, and whether it would dull the blade faster than paper. There were other non-tree papers (coffee, mango, banana, etc.) that I think were discussed a while back and I think one member had good success with them, but I can't find the thread at the moment.
That would be me. I got the idea from Kooklik who is using bagasse paper for the locomotive build. I did a test of bagasse compared to the other types of paper/card we normally use and found it to be superior in every respect.

The only problem is that I can't find bagasse in sheet form in the US. It appears mainly in paper products such as dishes, etc. There are some limited notebook products, but nothing we can use for paper modeling without buying a bunch of bagasse paper plates, chopping them up and laminating them.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
If you have thoughts about things you'd like me to try, just drop a response here.

I'll add videos as I go through the various experiments.[/QUOTE]

Can you get right to the point in your tests? The most obvious ones concern print quality, cutability with scissors and or #11 hobby blades, how long will scissors/#11s hold their edge compared to regular cardstock. How well does it score and fold? Is it compatible with the standard paper glues we use? Will it form and hold a tight curve. Since it is smooth on the surface, is the cut edge smooth, too? Can it be glued to regular cardstock? Can the edges be colored with markers, colored pencils and other coloring media? Can it be laminated to itself? How rigid is it compared to standard paper or various weights of cardstock? Is it available in .5 or 1,, thicknesses?

I am sure there are other tests, but these should whet our collective palettes for awhile.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 PM

All those are great questions to be answered, my main question is how fire resistant it is?

mike
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post

Can you get right to the point in your tests? The most obvious ones concern print quality, cutability with scissors and or #11 hobby blades, how long will scissors/#11s hold their edge compared to regular cardstock. How well does it score and fold? Is it compatible with the standard paper glues we use? Will it form and hold a tight curve. Since it is smooth on the surface, is the cut edge smooth, too? Can it be glued to regular cardstock? Can the edges be colored with markers, colored pencils and other coloring media? Can it be laminated to itself? How rigid is it compared to standard paper or various weights of cardstock? Is it available in .5 or 1,, thicknesses?

I am sure there are other tests, but these should whet our collective palettes for awhile.
Thanks! I can do *some* of these... but I'm not sure if I have enough paper to do others of those tests (average durability vs. blades, for example.) Some of the questions (thicknesses) can be answered on the web site, so I won't bother with those. I'm just a casual hobbyist and I'll share what I learn as I go. So far, I'm neither a fan or a detractor for this product and have no stake in any particular result.

The staff there are very helpful, you could probably submit the objective questions directly to them.

More as I go along. :-)

Last edited by OldSchoolDM; 04-13-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: quotes messed up
Google Adsense