PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What makes the cut in your collection

Just like any other hobby that requires building, we collect tools, supplies (maybe not tools: thinking of plastic modeling) and unfinished/shrinkwrapped kits far faster than we finish them. How do you choose what kits you buy? I'm a fan of Axis planes so my collection should really consist mainly of those types, but honestly, I wouldn't mind having a kit of every plane out there in my collection.
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
i mostly buy printed kit cause every now and then, i like to take them out and look at them like my art books collection . I also buy download but and very very few. in my collection which is very small compare to most members here, only very few kits that i bought i actually want to build. i can count them all with only one hand. i pick what i buy because maybe something about that kit i can learn from, like how parts are cut, frame design and so on.

have you bought a c-130 from airdave? they are nice.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Aircraft and Tanks were my main focus when I was collecting plastic models, and that seems to have continued into Paper Models.
But, with paper models there is the advantage of being able to collect kits in other, perhaps previously neglected genres. Thus it is that I've ended up with Mech models, architectural models, SciFi models, and car models, not one of which would I ever have even tried to obtain in plastic, because most would be either unavailable, prohibitively expensive, or simply nonexistent.

Doubtless, as time goes on I'll spend in ink and glue and cutting blades as much or more as I spent on plastic kits and related glues and paints and blades. BUT: I'll also have 50 times the number of kits I had in plastic, and a correspondingly vast number of sets of kits in related genres.

Hence, what for me "makes the cut" is a kit that:
A: is either unique or fits with others in the same theme/genre;
B: would be difficult if not impossible to obtain elsewhere in plastic;
C: can be rescaled to fit other planned things like buildings or dioramas;
D: is something I'll eventually be capable of building to a decently acceptable level.
Finally, E: is available for free download. Once I'm financially able to go back to those relevant sites and Donate some $ in appreciation, I most certainly shall do so.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Primary interest is wheeled (automotive, trucks and farm tractors). 1/25 scale preferred. A major Ford Fanatic and anything steam or lots of brass gets me all excited. That was with plastic and has carried over into paper. But with the variety, ease of storage and lower cost have jumped all over the spectrum including some areas (anime, mechs) that I didn't even know existed.

Still hoping for a good Ford 8N tractor, Ford GPB and Ford CMP to come along.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
I think collecting is just a human "thing" we do I have more kits than I most likely will ever build. As goodduck says they are nice to look at (even the electronic ones not yet printed). Mine are architectural, aircraft, civilian wheels and ships/boats. These are what I find enjoyable. I spent well over a year going thru 'Velka Kniha', the Vyskovsky walled town, and mentally built everything before I actually started construction.

George
Google Adsense