PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
An Hp isn't a very wise choice anymore, since they moved production overseas their quality has gone downhill fast, their ink costs too much and the printers need lots of maintenance.

I used to be a big HP fan.

Like mentioned earlier, laser printers are not a very good choice, they use "plastic" ink that is superheated and then sprayed on the paper, as it cools it bonds to the paper surface.

Any bends and it usually flakes off. Some builders here have found that certain laser printers seem to work ok.

An inkjet inks actually absorb into the paper, They don't flake off when there is a fold done.

My next printer will probably be an epsom.

Lots of threads here at PM about this very question, search for laser and/or inkjet printers.
Mike
Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
epson l100 cis printer

fyi has anyone heard of this printer?

seems epson is doing its own in house cis

i found a supplier on ebay seems they are only sold in asia.

has any one had experience with this printer?

Epson L100 Original Ink Tank System continuous ink system (CIS) Inkjet Printer | eBay

Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
An Hp isn't a very wise choice anymore, since they moved production overseas their quality has gone downhill fast, their ink costs too much and the printers need lots of maintenance.
I used to be a big HP fan.
Mike
Did I write this? ....I agree completely!

I recently bought a Brother printer.
Got it at Staples for about $60
Its a MFC-J415W

Its a Fax/Printer/Scanner
It has a Scanner on top (which I don't use) with a document feeder
so it can do multiple copies.
Its also got a nice size removable Paper Tray in the front (I'm trying to find another).

It has Multiple Ink Cartridges (4) and it produces beautiful colour.
I am very impressed with everything I have printed so far.
Some real good colour setting options aswell,
allows you to adjust the colour output and ink usage.

It even wakes up in the middle of the night and cleans itself!
I'm serious.

I have been buying replacement Ink from a guy on eBay. (tonerdepot2010)
The colour quality has been as good (so far) as the original Brother ink,
but its costing me next to nothing for cartridges. Last bundle was 8 carts
(2 of each colour) for $6!!

So, if you are looking for a regular size sheet Printer that is cheap to operate, this brother seems like a good choice.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
First, my suggestion is to go with an inkjet. I think the other responses point out how good they are.

My second recomendation is to purchase a stand-alone printer. Buy one that does one thing well and you'll be happy.

The last thing I'd recomend is to definitely buy a large format printer that can handle an 11 x 17 sheet of paper, preferably a 13 x 19 inch sheet.

The Epson 1400 is a good choice, I see it has already been mentioned.

I use an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and an Epson 1400.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Its time for me to look for a new printer, my Canon is too much hard work.

I feel myself drawn towards the Epson R3000. Partly because my local dealer wants rid of it and has offered a discount.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback ?
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've been getting my files printed @ staples. Very nice colors. If u haven't discovered "modge podge hard coat", it really protects the stock, strengthens, and brightens up colors. All of the above very important for "paper rockets," when they're traveling @ 400+ MPR!!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Its time for me to look for a new printer, my Canon is too much hard work.

I feel myself drawn towards the Epson R3000. Partly because my local dealer wants rid of it and has offered a discount.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback ?
Karl, I'd be wary of the R3000. Not because of quality but rather the inks. If you've researched the R3000, you should notice it takes 8 or 9 ink cartridges. You'd be well over the $150.00 (US) for a set of cartridges.

Also you want to see samples on the actual stock you'd be using. This printer is meant for photographic work and will produce the best results on photographic papers.

Also (again), just how deep a discount is he offering? If it makes the printer less than the Epson 1400, i suspect he wants to dump it for other reasons.

Shop carefully and slowly, comparing prices, ink costs, number of cartridges, is there a CIS (coninuous ink system) available for it (if you're intereted in that sort of thing), etc.

I prefer Epson printers, BUT, there are also some very nice, cost effectiive Canon printers available that produce stunning reults.

As in my previous post, I highly recommend a printer that will handle a minimum paper size of 11 x17 inches.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
All ya'll are dead wrong. You can't get the quality from a home printer that you can from a commercial job. I've costed it out and it's cheaper to go to a professional printer....especially if your model is color saturated. I use FedEx Express. At .55 cents per page on 100 lb cardstock, you cannot beat the price at home, and the quality from a home printer places a distant last compared to the commercial print.

Working the paper is a breeze, too. No problems with bleeding or cracking. The colors are far more vibrant, too.

Just give it a try. Print one sheet at home. Print the same sheet at a commercial concern. The difference will be glaring to you.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
All ya'll are dead wrong. You can't get the quality from a home printer that you can from a commercial job. I've costed it out and it's cheaper to go to a professional printer....especially if your model is color saturated. I use FedEx Express. At .55 cents per page on 100 lb cardstock, you cannot beat the price at home, and the quality from a home printer places a distant last compared to the commercial print.

Working the paper is a breeze, too. No problems with bleeding or cracking. The colors are far more vibrant, too.

Just give it a try. Print one sheet at home. Print the same sheet at a commercial concern. The difference will be glaring to you.
That's a pretty pompous statement. Maybe you've just been using the wrong printers or don't know how to use the ones you have. Only advantage I see is cost per page. I'd rather retain control over the printing and not waste time with FedEx.

To use the words "professional" and FedEx in the same sentence when talking about printing is just plain wrong.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
That's a pretty pompous statement. Maybe you've just been using the wrong printers or don't know how to use the ones you have. Only advantage I see is cost per page. I'd rather retain control over the printing and not waste time with FedEx.

To use the words "professional" and FedEx in the same sentence when talking about printing is just plain wrong.
Cmon, you know my posts. I'm anything but pompous. Just having a bit of fun.

That aside, there is no comparison between the home and industrial version of anything. But, doing some work with the copier guys one day, I started asking about the differences between the commercial and home versions. Even some of the office versions fall far short of the image capability of commercial printers.

I'm not sure of what you mean about retaining control of printing. I relinquish no control. I set the machine to reproduce the images in whatever scale/orientation I need.

"To use the words "professional" and FedEx in the same sentence when talking about printing is just plain wrong." I am not sure upon what you base this statement. Perhaps, you might check out their services and the quality thereof first especially as it regards paper models. Then you can make an informed decision.