PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Cmon, you know my posts. I'm anything but pompous. Just having a bit of fun.

That aside, there is no comparison between the home and industrial version of anything. But, doing some work with the copier guys one day, I started asking about the differences between the commercial and home versions. Even some of the office versions fall far short of the image capability of commercial printers.

I'm not sure of what you mean about retaining control of printing. I relinquish no control. I set the machine to reproduce the images in whatever scale/orientation I need.

"To use the words "professional" and FedEx in the same sentence when talking about printing is just plain wrong." I am not sure upon what you base this statement. Perhaps, you might check out their services and the quality thereof first especially as it regards paper models. Then you can make an informed decision.
Fun? BS. Pompous is standard. and I stand by that after years of reading posts.

The basic technology is the same is the same in the different versions of printers. Beyond heavier duty cycles it's smoke and mirrors.

I'll take my 30+ continuing years in the graphics and printing industry as my background in judging FedEx. Never said they were bad. But they're just not high end commercial printers. I can put anything that comes of my printer against commercial inkjet or offset printing and match it.

The last thing - the fellow is looking for helpful advice on BUYING a new printer, not buying printing. There is much more to life than paper models and a printer in the home has uses way beyond this. do we have any informed advice for that?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Fun? BS. Pompous is standard. and I stand by that after years of reading posts.

The basic technology is the same is the same in the different versions of printers. Beyond heavier duty cycles it's smoke and mirrors.

I'll take my 30+ continuing years in the graphics and printing industry as my background in judging FedEx. Never said they were bad. But they're just not high end commercial printers. I can put anything that comes of my printer against commercial inkjet or offset printing and match it.

The last thing - the fellow is looking for helpful advice on BUYING a new printer, not buying printing. There is much more to life than paper models and a printer in the home has uses way beyond this. do we have any informed advice for that?
Please state the price and availability of your printer. I restore vintage photographs and would not think of giving a print to a customer made on a home computer. I also don't use FedEx. I have another high-end digital print jobber. But, FE is just the right quality for the price. If I have to pay over $100 for a home printer, it's a waste of money just to print paper model files or something off the web and too much overhead for my small operation. That's my informed advice.

But, if you are determined that your results are just as good as or better than a commercial printer, then prove it. Or as we said in the military: put up or shut up. Then, we'll see who's pompous or not.

We pick a common file, say off the Canon site. Pick a page. You print yours and I'll print mine. We both send them to one of the moderators and let him/her make the decision. You do a per-print cost analysis, and try to be realistic. We already know that FE costs $.55/page plus tax. My first choice would be for one of the circus models...full of color. Or I have some Paper Pino files that are equally colorful. But, since you have made the insult and I am challenging you, the code of dueling dictates that you be allowed the choice of weapons.

Let the game begin. I expect a file choice...not vituperative oratory. I already have a moderator in mind; Cmags, but you may choose another if that suits you. We can send two copies, one to each moderator.

It'll be fun.

And then, the question will be laid to rest!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
This sounds like the best way to settle an internet argument I've ever heard. I'm game for judging the print quality.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Laser vs inkjet

Just go my copy of "Delta IV +" rocket printed @ Staples. Want to treat it first with "modge podge" to see if helps prevent cracking. Have another rocket that I used it on and will keep u posted. Garmtn
Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Where'd he go?