PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
A Problem For SketchUp Users?

I wonder if this is going to be bad news for SketchUp users? Welcome to MCADCafe.com Weekly Review - April 26, 2012

I read about the sale of SketchUp from Google to Trimble in this weeks's MCAD Cafe news. I'll be surprised if SketchUp remains free for much longer.

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I can think of one good reason to keep a free version around. Sketchup is the most widely used 3D modeler in the world because of it's ease of use and Google's connection to it. One might hope they take an approach more like Daz with it's programs, profiting mostly from models and addons. Anyway, the version I've got works great and doubtless will for a long time. A less often realized fact about graphics software is that an old version often works as well or better than a latest. I'm still using Photoshop 7 and, for my needs, I've never felt the need for a later version.

Wade
Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well according to the press releases the plan is to keep a free version. With the current use if the free version I personally believe they will.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.06 MB
There is a huge discussion about this on the SketchUcation forum in this thread: View topic - A new home for SketchUp • SketchUcation Community Forums
Sentiment seems to range from vitriolic anger to guarded optimism. I'm pretty much neutral until Trimble does something either stupid or great.