PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Smoke in the Plane

Deckape's beautiful model of the C-124 reminds me of another famous Douglas transport, the C-54. That was the plane Systems Command used in the 1960s for its shuttle service between Patrick AFB, Florida, and Washington, DC. One Friday afternoon another lieutenant and I joined the flight; the only other space-A passenger was a light colonel who went to sleep even before takeoff.
So we barreled down the runway, lifted off, felt/heard the gear retract -- and almost immediately smelled smoke. The colonel laughed when we woke him up, explaining that there was no brake on the nosewheel. This meant that the wheel was still spinning when the gear retracted, so the tire just rubbed on the inside of the wheel well until stopped by the friction.
Learning why the smell of burning rubber was part of every takeoff was a good lesson to learn about the C-54, but not one that inspired much confidence.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great story! I wonder i f the DC commercial models suffered from the same condition?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
It's great to hear about these random snippets about things you never gave a second thought about~
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That IS a good story! I have friends flying the DC-4 up in Alaska, and apparently all of their examples have the well snubbers removed long ago, mostly because of the lack of the part being available for years now. In the jet I currently fly, the nose wheels take a good 1-2 minutes to slow to a stop, but you'll not smell a thing since it's pressurized. However, the APU sucking down isopropyl glycol during a deice application can cause immediate and severe smoke in the cabin once it's been processed by the pressurization system. It can be pretty alarming and caustic to passengers.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not a good thing, never quite sure if you have a PROBLEM or not!
Google Adsense