PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Horten Ho 229

Saw a Nat.Geo. show on the 229 & (surprise surprise) wondered about paper models.
After a search I found the Fiddlers Green version,
Marek
WIR (?)
& the Fly model version.

I guess the Fly model will interest me more than the FG due to detail-level but I'm also wondering about Halinski type designs.
Anyone know of any 'high-detail' designs of the Ho229? Perhaps I just need to super-detail the FG ?

Secondly....

I also discovered this -Link Removed - I assume this is a pirate outfit as the model looks like the one on the FG page.
Made me wonder as there are many nice looking models on that site - all pirated? Immune to Western laws I guess.

Last edited by Texman; 06-02-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Removed link
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I really love all those Horten Nurflügler, the mid section of the H IX (Ho 229) was my first ever scratch build about 10 years ago. The book from Andrei Shepelev and Huib Ottens is a must-read if you are interested in the subject. There are so many myths on these airplanes (stealth & co), it's quite interesting to read about the "facts".

An accurate paper model kit of the H IX is definately on my "to do" design-list, I already have all still existing original blueprints (or at least 95% of them). It will be detailed, but it won't come this year.

Thorsten
Old 06-03-2012, 03:10 AM

Thorsten I have been looking at the Spirit of Thuringia by Shepelev & the Schiffer book by Dabrowski. I will have to dig around some more in those as the stories are interesting. I liked the way one Horten brother was manipulating funding with fictitious units

I also tried to find something on youtube, but there wasn't much. Some good Luft46 game sims of it tho.
Horten Ho-2 Flying Wing Test Flight 1935 - YouTube
Ho 229 Us army Fly test - YouTube
Hitlers Stealth fighter - Horten 229 - YouTube

My main question on the real deal was yaw, roll must 'replace' some of the lateral motion created by a rudder.... I can see that could have a big impact in dog-fights, but I guess a resident aeronautics expert will be better equipped to explain why the design is less common.

I hope your project does get airborne, I may even be available to beta build something if you need volunteers.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 AM

I hope to understand your question right. The yaw axis was controlled by small airbrakes far out on the wings. They could be actuated seperately on each wing, so the wing on which they were deployed is pushed back, resulting in a yaw to this side. That's how I understand it, if I'm wrong please correct me!

Thorsten
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
I hope to understand your question right. The yaw axis was controlled by small airbrakes far out on the wings. They could be actuated seperately on each wing, so the wing on which they were deployed is pushed back, resulting in a yaw to this side. That's how I understand it, if I'm wrong please correct me!

Thorsten
The B-2 has split aileron that open and add drag....don't know how Horten did it.....Rich
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM

If you watch close you can see a split aileron open just as the HO-2 takes off for a second in the above video. It's the first of the three videos......Rich
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM

The H IX didn't have split ailerons for yaw control. The airbrakes were seperate flaps on each side of the wings. They can be seen here:

(source: http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/H...h9_02_1024.gif)

That's confirmed by blueprints.

Thorsten
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 AM

I did not know that, cool.......thanks Thorsten......Rich
Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the comments. I think a paper version of that blue-print would be a major task!

My question was in reference to the dfference in performance in relation to the presence of tail fin(s).
The use of 'spoilers' on the Horten to effect yaw made me wonder about roll. A tail reduces roll in flat turns as I understand it.
The dogfight staged by the test facility between the Me262 & the Ho229 apparently showed the Ho229 out maneuvered the me262. So I got to wondering why so many aircraft kept tails if the flying wing & things like the B2 worked well without them... Not that the tail was the only factor but it seems relevant.
Hope I am being a bit clearer this time!

The animations from the flightsim games show the best views I've so far seen of the control surfaces in action e.g.
GO-229 (Horten HO-229) jet fighter plane GunTesting.wmv - YouTube
Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
By the way, the Marek (Ecardmodels.com) and Wir models are the same design. Ecard sells Marek's designs digitally.

Wyvern
Google Adsense