PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper modeling and PTSD

As i sit here typing this i have DGA's freebie P-80 in front of me cut out and ready to fold and glue. It's my 3rd attempt at this one particular model and i lost count on how many other models have been just swept into the trashcan, but here i am trying again. I was told that maybe modeling wouldn't be such a good idea for me to get into because of the "disorder" i have. I think that this is a great hobby, and i hope to be able to actually complete a model sometime soon, but i find myself getting frustrated and throwing away something when i make the slightest mistakes, but then i come back to this forum and i see that there are others on here who suffer worse that i do, and it's very motivating to me. I appreciate how supportive you all are of each other and how you all trade ideas and advice, it's why i stay on here almost all day! I hope to be able to finish this plane by the morning and post some pictures of my COMPLETED model.(thank god for freebies, it's very hard to purchase models on a fixed income)...thanks for letting me vent, i better get back to this build.
josh
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Sounds good Josh! Make sure to take pictures on the way!

I think the frustration is mutual, but it helps us grow (hopefully :D) Not to mention, you are correct - there are a lot of supportive people here, and they (we) will help every step of the way.

Keep at it!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM

I agree about the frustration....it just makes me take a step back,re-evaluate, and try harder
Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Eternal Member

I think the best thing to do is relax and we all make errors leave out parts when assembling I have done that on so many models over the time i have been doing the models. Keep going and take your time and if you want do a build thread and people maybe able to help you finsh the model there is sure to be someone who has made that model on here who will be able to tell you how they done it. In a word on here do not be afraid to ask a question even if you think it is stupid it could well be the problem someone else had and they be able to tell you what they done.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
I think the best thing to do is relax and we all make errors leave out parts when assembling I have done that on so many models over the time i have been doing the models. Keep going and take your time and if you want do a build thread and people maybe able to help you finsh the model there is sure to be someone who has made that model on here who will be able to tell you how they done it. In a word on here do not be afraid to ask a question even if you think it is stupid it could well be the problem someone else had and they be able to tell you what they done.
Same here, when building my large Titanic model I came across some parts that I didn't know where to put, it later turned out, they were part of the formers and stiffeners creating the hull... the hull was allready finished at this time..
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hey, just turned 62 and I still have some half done car kits from high school, so don't worry about getting it finished perfectly. Currently working on my 1st figure model and I'm on my 4th attempt (one of the great things about paper models, especially freebies) at getting a torso done. So if I stressed too much on 'finished near perfect' I'd either have a lot more grey hair or none! So just enjoy, step away when needed and go with the flow.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

I have PTSD, so do most of the people in this forum, just reading the posts will reveal that. Never think of a "complete" model, just a series of parts. Not that that works necessarily, it just with PTSD, you get the same thought whirling around your head sometimes, and was mine.

@whusley, I bet some of those "half built models from high school" would sell well on Ebay!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I started DGA's Shooting Star a couple of years ago. Had some fit problems assembling the wing tip tanks, and she went on the back burner. I'll get back to it someday. I treat paper modeling like I treat restaurants - if I have a bad experience, it'll be a looong time before I go back - if ever. I just move on to the next restaurant.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Hi Josh, I think that Don makes an excellent point. Maybe if this model is giving you so much trouble it's time to pick a different model that's not quite as challenging. It's kind of like dating really. If your current girl is too much maintenance, ie... trouble, then get another girl(s). Heck I started with the old Wheaties models and took a couple of tries to get them flying right. You might want to take a look at the late Phil Koopman models for practice and them work your way back up to the DGA P-80.

The Koopman models are available at:

Fly'N Things -- Amazing Paper Airplanes

Curt
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM

I have got this model almost complete!....it doesn't look very good to me but the small victory of completion is at hand. I just did one thing that has hampered my build, i printed it really small.
Google Adsense