PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.64 MB
A B-17 is an awesome thing!

I was just out in the yard enjoying a nice calm evening here in Michigan. Then I heard the unmistakable sound of four big old radial engines. Sure enough, they were attached to a beautiful shiny B-17 Flying Fortress. It was about 500 ft above the trees (that is about 150 m for my international friends). Stuff like this just makes my day!

I live close to Willow Run Airport where the Yankee Air Force Museum is located. They have a few old warbirds and I am sometimes treated to watching one of them approach the airport. But with the poor economy, it seems like it has been quite a long time since I’ve seen any flying around here.

For those of you who have never heard the roar of those radials, words cannot describe it. No recording device can do it justice. It is almost better than hearing “I love you” from a beautiful woman. And probably even better than hearing “I’m giving you a raise” from your boss. For those of you who have heard it, you know what I mean.

Time to move the FG B-17 up higher on my build list.
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
About a month ago i too heard a sound like that....I went outside and lo and behold flying low over head was a B-24 and the best part, a P-51 Mustang flying on his wing!....the Cavanaugh Flight Museum is about 15 miles from my place and lucky for me they seem to fly over my place quite often......Rich
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I had the pleasure years ago of seeing 5 B-17's, a Lancaster, and a B-24 all in the air at one time at an airshow in Geneseo, NY (Wings of Eagles '89, I think). Awesome doesn't even come close to describing the sight and sound of 7 heavy bombers all flying by at once. I can't even imagine what a wartime flight must have been like. Sure miss those WoE airshows, never seen anything like it since.

Scott K.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.64 MB
Such a bomber formation would certainly surpass the experience of seeing & hearing only one of them alone. It must have been overwhelming. When you mentioned a Lancaster, it reminded me of a few years ago when one flew over the house low & slow on its way to an airshow at Willow Run. I remember being astounded at how loud it was. Unlike a B-17 that has a pleasing rumble, the Lanc had a powerful harsh pitch that I didn't expect.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
One thing you'll learn if you ever have a chance to be around a B-17 while taxiing .......... Once you hear it you'll never forget it and maybe even laugh or groan a little.....

Listen, listen can you hear the squeaky brakes?? I've been around nearly a dozen B-17's and without fail.......squeaky brakes. That's how I tell if a video or audio recording has been doctored..... No squeak, what is it really?

It's still the most wonderful airplane I've ever been around, squeak and all;-)

Swampfox
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
Such a bomber formation would certainly surpass the experience of seeing & hearing only one of them alone. It must have been overwhelming. When you mentioned a Lancaster, it reminded me of a few years ago when one flew over the house low & slow on its way to an airshow at Willow Run. I remember being astounded at how loud it was. Unlike a B-17 that has a pleasing rumble, the Lanc had a powerful harsh pitch that I didn't expect.
Not to diminish your seeing that B-17. it's been years since I've seen any warbirds at all, let alone a B-17. All see these days are Herks from the Niagara Falls ANG base.

The Lancaster has 4 Merlins, vs the 4 radials of the Fort. It's like hearing a really close formation of Mustangs going by, sure miss that, too.

Go to youtube and search for Geneseo airshow, and/or wings of Eagles. many clips last time I looked, maybe by now someone's uploaded something from one of the shows with multiple heavies present.

Scott K.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Attended a Gathering of Eagles airshow in Ohio a few years ago....100 P-51s and numerous other a/c. At times, there were 50+ Mustangs in aerial formations. There was a bomber flyby with B-17's, B-24, B-25s and the CWH Lancaster in formation.

You are right...there is no sound like it on the planet!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
I used to work right under the flight path for Palm Springs Airport, and would occasionally see their B-17 on approach. LOVE that sound.