PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
FANATSTIC! (now officially un-crossing fingers!)

On a side note.......... do you have a complete list of your models? I'm sure I need to add a few to my collection.

john

My Drawings
Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've done the water pump thing. Depending what kind of car you have, you got off easy.

I do my own car work, but most mechanics charge $75 an hour, and last time I had to change out a waterpump, it took 6 hours. Of course, I had to remove the front of the engine to get to it.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Good to hear that it's just something relatively minor. Cars anymore....even to change the plugs, you have to remove three layers of crap before you start running across some parts you more or less recognize. Oh for the days of my '53 Plymouth...if I needed to, I could actually get in and stand between the engine and fenders. And changing the head gasket was at most a half-hour repair.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Cory
When they open her up to do the water pump
Have them do the timing belt at the same time
It will save you a lot of Greaf down the road
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
The first thing i fixed on a car I bought was a a waterpump on a Fiat 127 ah the Haynes manual was the book to buy in the old days when you bought an old car
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
lol! yep, as i mentioned in another thread, i changed an engine and transmission (among other things) in a Volvo 240 series. switched it from an automatic to standard (shift). there is no way i could have done it without a Haynes manual. the design simplicity was helpful too. seems 90% of the bolts were either 9mm or 13mm. it was nice to work on a car and not have to buy a whole lot of tools.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
My dad and my uncle love working on cars. If it is pre-1980 they have no trouble. They are working on getting a 1976 Chevy put back together now. All new engine (350 I think) and other parts from a later era but that is the great thing, they can just do it. They look under the hood and can see each component. Not so with today's cars! I enjoy the advantages of modern vehicles but sometimes I really wish I would have bought that Chevy Nomad back when I had a chance. My wife could work on that! (She is the mechanically inclined one in our house.)

But, as God would have it, our problems are small and the wonderful mechanic doing the work is doing it on the side and on a holiday and not jacking up the cost. I guess I will have a couple of beers and a hamburger waiting for him when it is done though. I think he will have earned it!

CT